Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

transfer bags to Cuba

Ddenk
Explorer C

Hi, I am traveling HOU to FLL, FLL to Cuba. Would my bags transfer from one flight to the next automatically or do I need to pick them up and check them back in.

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: transfer bags to Cuba

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Checked baggage is transferred for you when flying out of the United States to an international destination, but on the return you would need to claim baggage in customs at your first stop in the US then re-check bags after clearing customs.  Usually there is a special re-check area or counter so you aren't going through the standard check-in line.

Have a great trip!

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

Ddenk
Explorer C

I am afraid it is different traveling to Cuba. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I've not seen anything to indicate it's different for Cuba, why do you think it's different? 

--TheMiddleSeat

Ddenk
Explorer C

Because I have travel to Cuba with SW before and the bags do not transfer, they need to be retrieved from the baggage claim and re-check into the Cuba flight. The only reason for my question is to know if there has been any changes to that.

The policy you are refering too was in place way before my last travel to Cuba and it did not applied. Cuba it's "DIFFERENT".

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Well, then I hope you'll report back after your trip and let us all know how it all worked because that's not documented anywhere I could find. 

Enjoy! 

--TheMiddleSeat