Share knowledge about Southwest’s
boarding process and learn from others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
obrigster84
New Arrival

Today (8-16-2016) on flight 199, a woman who boarded in the A1-A15 group, saved 5 seats in rows 3 and 4.  She also saved space in the overhead bins.  This created confusion, even anger, for some boarding passengers. It seems awkward (unfair?) that one member of a group can purchase preferred seating and save 5 seats plus storage space in overhead bins.  Southwest should, in my opinion, develop a policy on this subject.  BTW, all 5 passengers she saved seats for were adults, not children.

23 REPLIES

Re: saving seats

Lindsey Employee Rank
Employee
Solution

Hi @obrigster84,

Thank you for participating in The Southwest Community. Southwest Airlines currently does not have a policy for or against the saving of seats. That said, we always appreciate feedback from our Customers. 

If you need assistance with a specific Customer Service issue, please reach out through the Contact Us page on Southwest.com. 

Lindsey
Community Manager
The Southwest Airlines Community

BullsFan

This is NOT TRUE!  Southwest definitely has a rule on the books- a  passenger is entitled to chose ANY UNOCCUPIED SEAT .  

However, Southwest refuses to enforce that rule allowing people to save seats.

This is a major problem and needs to be addressed.  I am A list and Conpanion pass and 6'4" and routinely run into small people trying to save bulkhead and exit row seats when I get on the plane with an early A.

Some of those people are pre-board- often friends and employees - and pre boards are specifically prohibited from taking exit row seats but SWA doesn't enforce that rule, either!

SHAME ON YOU SOUTHWEST 

Cjatyler
New Arrival
I agree with the previous post. Open seating is open seating, not take one and save five. I was in the A group today and had to go back 9 rows before I could get an "unsaved" seat. This is enough to take another carrier next time. What is the use of being an early boarder if fellow passengers can save seats????

Cjatyler
New Arrival

It is time for Southwest to develop a policy regarding saving seats. People are abusing the boarding process and taking advantage of the other passengers who should have the right to ANY open seat!  

bluesfan65
New Arrival

I could not agree more. Saving a seat for a spouse or travel companion is one thing but to save multiple seats is another and should be prohibited.

TampaTravel
New Arrival

It's never really an issue if you're saving a middle seat right? Who wants one of those??? 😁 The issues is when it's multiple seats. I have made it awfully awkward before by just sitting in a seat that was being saved. On the other hand, I have been accused of trying to save a seat by a ridiculously rude flight attendant on a Southwest flight. I was in the process of getting out my iPad while my dad who was 10 ppl behind me in number came on. Mind you, the plane was 20℅ full at this point. 

cjcarlson
New Arrival

Why are people so upset about saving seats?      Is it that much of an imposition for someone to want to sit next to their travel companion?    I travel 50%+ for work and always fly Southwest, and am not one of the dreaded "seat savers."     But, I often encounter saved seats, and I just find another one.     Definitely a first world problem. 

newsman
New Arrival

If there's an open seat that I want (exit row/bulkhead), I'm taking it. Sorry I'm so rude, but open seating is open seating. If you wanted to board with your family or friends, you should have done so. I have a family, and we board together. If you wanted a saved seat, go to another airline that allows you to reserve a specific seat.

Victoria1949
New Arrival

I have never experienced type of  situation.  And, I have never encountered a rude Southwest Employee.