Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Accommodations for people with hearing loss

Nottoc54
Explorer C

I met a fellow traveler at the Midway Airport today, and she shared with me that she is deaf. She said it is difficult for her to know what is being said over the intercom in the terminal and on the plane. 

Has Southwest ever pursued any transcription services that can be toggled on or off the terminal screens so people who are deaf can read what the people are saying at the gates? 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Accommodations for people with hearing loss

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@Nottoc54 wrote:

I met a fellow traveler at the Midway Airport today, and she shared with me that she is deaf. She said it is difficult for her to know what is being said over the intercom in the terminal and on the plane. 

Has Southwest ever pursued any transcription services that can be toggled on or off the terminal screens so people who are deaf can read what the people are saying at the gates? 

Greetings:

Southwest has the following page published which should address this:

https://support.southwest.com/helpcenter/s/article/I-need-another-type-of-disability-related-assista...

As a frequent customer, I have never "closed captioning" on the monitors during verbal announcements for the hearing impaired but the airline does offer alternate methods of communication upon request both in the terminal and on the plane. The request can be noted in the reservation and brought to the attention of a uniformed Southwest employee upon arrival at the airport.

The next best friends for the hearing impaired are the status monitors which visually communicate key details like flight status and boarding groups, especially the ones directly operated by Southwest as these also communicate how full the flight is and the approximate time when boarding starts:

Gate Status Monitor (Airport-operated):

20231103_063136 EDIT.jpg

20230622_151434.jpg

20230516_155812.jpg

Gate Status Monitor (Southwest Operated):

20230622_061045EDIT.jpg

Status Monitor - SW Gate.png

Boarding Group Monitors:

20230502_170025_EDIT.jpg

Hope this helps!

Re: Accommodations for people with hearing loss

Mlburrell
Explorer C

That would be an excellent idea for passengers who are hearing impaired.  Great question!