Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can I bring an iron to iron my clothes (a classical iron not a steamer)

oscarjuvera
Explorer C

Hi everyone, does anyone know if I can bring with me an iron to iron my clothes? It's not a steamer nor a fancy one, it's a target classic iron. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Can I bring an iron to iron my clothes (a classical iron not a steamer)

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@oscarjuvera wrote:

Hi everyone, does anyone know if I can bring with me an iron to iron my clothes? It's not a steamer nor a fancy one, it's a target classic iron. 

Hi Oscar-

I didn't see any restrictions on TSA's website on bringing common clothing irons for checked or carry-on. I think an iron may be defined as a large electronic device but I could be wrong.

I would therefore remove the iron from the carry-on bag and keep it separate or in the tray when running it through the x-ray machine at the TSA Checkpoint for both PreCheck and Standard screening and putting back into the carry-on after clearing TSA just in case an officer needs to review the iron.

Re: Can I bring an iron to iron my clothes (a classical iron not a steamer)

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SoCalFlyer97 wrote:

@oscarjuvera wrote:

Hi Oscar-

I didn't see any restrictions on TSA's website on bringing common clothing irons for checked or carry-on. I think an iron may be defined as a large electronic device but I could be wrong.

I would therefore remove the iron from the carry-on bag and keep it separate or in the tray when running it through the x-ray machine at the TSA Checkpoint for both PreCheck and Standard screening and putting back into the carry-on after clearing TSA just in case an officer needs to review the iron.

Make sure it doesn't have water in it if you are carrying it on.

I don't see any issue with it in checked luggage for sure. It would be a little odd for a carry-on as most hotels have them at your destination but if you aren't staying at a hotel then maybe you need your own.

I'm also assuming it plugs in and does not have a battery, you said it was a Target classic iron. Otherwise battery restrictions would apply.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.