Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion Pass Check In

atv5150
Explorer C

We just started using the Companion Pass a couple of months ago and have used it twice. We thought both of us are supposed to check in separately, but could be mistaken.

Both times we each checked in separately, my wife (original booker) got say high B-10 position as she completed the mobile check in process first and mine was just a few seconds later and I got low B-50 as the Companion Pass holder. However, after I checked in, my wife's boarding position changed to B-51.

I am a little confused as to how this is working. No A-Lists, no upgraded boarding, just one flyer and a Companion Pass flyer.  Who should be checking in?

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Companion Pass Check In

dfwskier
Aviator A

It is my understanding , barring A-List EB, etc, it makes no difference who checks in first. You will receive consecutive boarding positions.

kawena66
Explorer C

Seems ez enough but for any "gotcha".  I am the paying passenger with 1 confirmation code and my wife is the companion pass with a separate confirmation code.  I will check in first as the primary so will she be automatically checked in then or do we need to check in separately?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@kawena66 wrote:

Seems ez enough but for any "gotcha".  I am the paying passenger with 1 confirmation code and my wife is the companion pass with a separate confirmation code.  I will check in first as the primary so will she be automatically checked in then or do we need to check in separately?

She'll be checked in when you check in.

You'll want to go ahead and verify, but it won't be a race as either one of you checking in first will cause the other to be checked in.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

I’ve never heard of a boarding position changing after check in unless you do the upgraded boarding where you go from B or C to A1-15 for the fee. 

Was this a connection flight and maybe you saw one flight and the companion saw a different flight? Or just a miss read 

atv5150
Explorer C

It was not a connecting flight. Do we BOTH need to check in or just one of us?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@atv5150 wrote:

We just started using the Companion Pass a couple of months ago and have used it twice. We thought both of us are supposed to check in separately, but could be mistaken.

Both times we each checked in separately, my wife (original booker) got say high B-10 position as she completed the mobile check in process first and mine was just a few seconds later and I got low B-50 as the Companion Pass holder. However, after I checked in, my wife's boarding position changed to B-51.

I am a little confused as to how this is working. No A-Lists, no upgraded boarding, just one flyer and a Companion Pass flyer.  Who should be checking in?

Most likely you aren't remembering the number or didn't see it clearly, it won't have changed unless she took any action to relinquish it.

Then in that case it would be chosen from among all of the options when re-assigned not sequential to yours unless that was that last one issued.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

If you changed flights or took action that post-warning would edit your number, that can change your order.

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

atv5150
Explorer C

Remember bc we fly SW quite a bit and we were surprised it happened.

For check in, do we BOTH have to check in or just the non-companion flyer?  

julesr123
Explorer C

So we just booked my first companion pass flight. My boyfriend is A List Preferred but selected Business Select and booked companion for me. I had read that the companion would board with the A List Preferred customer during their boarding, but not if they purchased Business Select, which I understand. It said both parties would be automatically checked in at 36 hours. When we booked though, it says I have to wait til 24 hours to check in. I understand I shouldn’t get A1-15 but don’t understand why I don’t get automatically checked in at 36 hours since he chose Business Select.