Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

EarlyBird check, no better seat received.

smi1981
Explorer C

Twice in the last month I paid $25 for Early Bird boarding which is supposed to check me in 36 hours in advance. My husband was on the same flight and elected to check in 24 advance. Both time I was issued a boarding number exactly 1 number lower then my husband. And this was on 4 different flight segments.  Can anyone tell me why?  Where is the value of paying $25 for early check in?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: EarlyBird check, no better seat received.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You could have been the last person to purchase EBCI and he was the first to check-in 24 hours prior. How far in advance did you purchase EBCI?

The value is not the guarantee of some incredible boarding position, the value is not having to worry about checking in and the "stress" of making sure you check in exactly at 24 hours prior. If you don't see value in it, don't buy it.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

The value of EBCI (at least as far as boarding position goes) declines as you get closer to departure date. EBCI boarding spots are assigned in the order that EBCI is purchased.

Buying less than 36 hours before boarding isn't worth a whole lot.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Does your husband have A-List?

smi1981
Explorer C

No A List

jksobonya
Aviator A

I used to pay for Early Bird off and on but over the years I've decided to just save the money and take my chances with checking in 24 hours ahead. I've found that even if I am in a later boarding position (B or even C group) I can still get a window or aisle seat in almost every case.

Now that I'm A List this year though, I don't have to worry about it!

--Jessica