Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

First time flying southwest - questions about pre-boarding & early bird

giulianoseguro
Explorer C

Hi everyone,

This is our first time flying Southwest (and new here too) - im mainly looking to understand the boarding situation and whether or not I should get the earlybird.

I have a physical disability (cerebral palsy) which does get me pre-boarding because I do walk slower with a couple canes and need help with overhead bins etc. I'll also be traveling with my wife and baby (1.5yrs old, on lap)

My questions is, how does pre-boarding on SW work? Do I need to ask for it at the gate? do they announce it and I walk up? Also, is there any benefit in us getting the earlybird? I'm totally ok paying it if it makes for a smoother trip overall but not sure.

We mainly fly UA or AA so not sure what to expect, especially with the no reserved seats situation. Any advice would be much appreciated (especially with a lap baby)

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: First time flying southwest - questions about pre-boarding & early bird

floridaguy
Aviator C

Ask for it at the gate or when you check in your luggage.  Indicate that you need to preboard and DO NOT respond to the question about needing extra time.  Simply indicate that you need to preboard.

giulianoseguro
Explorer C

thank you @floridaguy! much appreciated. Out of curiosity, what's the issue with the question about needing extra time?

dfwskier
Aviator A

If you say you "just " need extra time, then you do not pre board. You board after A Group boards.

floridaguy
Aviator C

It is a trick question.  You say that you need to preboard and the gate agent responds asking if you need extra time.  If you say yes, then you are between A and B boarding groups.

Remember - you have the right to preboard if you self-declare with a disability.  Simply refuse to respond to the question about extra time and repeat over and over that you need to preboard.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@giulianoseguro wrote:

This is our first time flying Southwest (and new here too) - im mainly looking to understand the boarding situation and whether or not I should get the earlybird.

...Also, is there any benefit in us getting the earlybird? I'm totally ok paying it if it makes for a smoother trip overall but not sure.

To answer your other question you do not need to buy the Early Bird if you plan to pre-board, there's no additive benefit. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.