Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flight already boarding etiquette

TeamTeddy
Explorer C

I have a short layover for changing planes coming up (50 minutes). If my first flight is delayed at all, there's a chance my second flight will already be boarding when I get to the gate. What's the etiquette for if they are already boarding past my number (e.g., if I have a A boarding number and they are already on B)? Do I go to the side (like where people originally line up for pre-boarding) to get to the front of the line, since theoretically I should already have boarded? Get in the end of whichever line is currently boarding? Thanks for your help.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Flight already boarding etiquette

floridaguy
Aviator C

If you miss your boarding position, you board at the next available point.

There is no preboarding for late flights.  Preboarding is solely for those who self-identify with a disability.

TeamTeddy
Explorer C

My question is really where I go to board at the next available point. Not trying to pre-board, just trying to figure out where I should go when I arrive at the gate.

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@TeamTeddy wrote:

My question is really where I go to board at the next available point. Not trying to pre-board, just trying to figure out where I should go when I arrive at the gate.

When that has happened to me, I walked right to the front of the line that is boarding -- and boarded. Think about it, if you are A45 and jump in line at what would be B22 you are doing nothing wrong.

TeamTeddy
Explorer C

Thank you! It's what made logical sense to me, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't off-base.