Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flying from LIR (Costa Rica) to MDW (Chicago) with a layover in HOU (Houston). My bags recheck?

grooveoperator
Explorer C

Will I have to recheck my bags and go through security again. This is on the same reservation, but an international flight on first leg, then domestic on second with the layover in HOU. Does anyone know? Thank yoU!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Flying from LIR (Costa Rica) to MDW (Chicago) with a layover in HOU (Houston). My bags recheck?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

When arriving from most international locations, including Costa Rica, you will need to go through customs at your first stop in the United States.  When you do this you will claim your bags in the customs area, clear customs, then recheck your bags.  There is usually a separate bag re-check area so you don't have to go through the normal check-in area with all the other people checking in.  I don't know about HOU, but some airports will also make you go through TSA security screening after you drop bags off.

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: Flying from LIR (Costa Rica) to MDW (Chicago) with a layover in HOU (Houston). My bags recheck?

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

I believe HOU will as well, since you technically leave the secure area to re-check.

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

floridaguy
Aviator C

Houston does have a separate area to re-check bags.  I flew through Houston on my way to and back from Los Cobos Mexico.

grooveoperator
Explorer C

Did you have to go through security again? Thanks!