Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Have To Go Though Security Again For WN Connections in San Diego

srockgibson
Explorer C

Formerly a Southwest regular, I took my first Southwest trip today since I got caught in the Dec 2022 meltdown.  

I had a online Southwest transfer in San Diego.  I arrived at Southwest Gate 5 and departed from Southwest Gate 13.  I couldn't believe that in the year 2024 you have to go to security again to complete a Southwest online transfer. 

To add to the pain, the Southwest monitors only show the flights for each gate "hub"  So if you arrive at Southwest gates 5-8 and are departing are are departing from Southwest gates gates 13-18, your connecting flight will not even show on the monitor.  You're totally on your own to figure out what's going on.

Third world operations in San Diego.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Have To Go Though Security Again For WN Connections in San Diego

dfwskier
Aviator A

Well, since Southwest didn't build the airport, there's not much the airline can do about the situation -- perhaps the airline will  be able to get all of it's gates in one place at some time in the future. Absent that, it iis what it is.

I do agree with you that not having the flight tote boards show all Southwest flights is pretty dumb

Re: Have To Go Though Security Again For WN Connections in San Diego

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@srockgibson wrote:

Formerly a Southwest regular, I took my first Southwest trip today since I got caught in the Dec 2022 meltdown.  

I had a online Southwest transfer in San Diego.  I arrived at Southwest Gate 5 and departed from Southwest Gate 13.  I couldn't believe that in the year 2024 you have to go to security again to complete a Southwest online transfer. 

To add to the pain, the Southwest monitors only show the flights for each gate "hub"  So if you arrive at Southwest gates 5-8 and are departing are are departing from Southwest gates gates 13-18, your connecting flight will not even show on the monitor.  You're totally on your own to figure out what's going on.

Third world operations in San Diego.

Greetings!

SAN is my primary home airport (ONT is my 'convenience' origin).

I would submit and guarantee that both Southwest and SAN airport staff are very well aware of the inconvenience of Terminal 1's current layout that not only impacts connections but also gate changes.

20230516_064239-EDIT.png

Last September, I experienced this too--and it involved lucky Gate 13:
https://community.southwest.com/t5/Inflight-Experience/Sept-23-Photo-Trip-Report-SAN-LAS-with-2x-TSA...

Regarding your connecting departure at Gate 13, you arrived at Gate 5 which is on the eastern concourse of Terminal 1. Being a frequent SAN flyer, I've noticed that the Customer Service desks and monitors at that concourse all use the older model counters and tv's. E.g. from Gate 7:

20231103_063136 EDIT.jpg

These TV's rotate between a full view of the next scheduled departure (as pictured) and departures/status of flights from nearby gates that exclude flights that take place on the Gate 11-18 western concourse to your point. However, there's two sets of vertical status monitors (pictured below) in each concourse that show all the gates:

20230912_062816_Crop.jpg   

This would be your go-to place to check for flight status. If for some reason your flight was still missing on the monitors, the Southwest App or website is the next best place to check:

https://www.southwest.com/air/flight-status/

Regarding the airport getting all this straightened out...Not sure if you saw the construction activity either from the terminal windows or from the plane but SAN will be replacing Terminal 1 with the New T1 which on schedule to open sometime next year.

20240223_064134.jpg

When that happens, all of Southwest's gates will be linked together airside and we can bid good-riddance of having to go through a TSA checkpoint twice for both SW connections and/or gate changes.