Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How should Hockey Gear be checked in?

DadofBrBoys
Explorer C

When you check in and you choose what type of sports gear you're checking it will list "Hockey Bag" under one of the options however this would then separate your hockey sticks. 

In talking with an agent at the Departures desk they suggested checking the baggage as "Ski" equipment so you get a "Skis and Boots" baggage claim tickets. This makes total sense but why not update the language so hockey families can more easily self-check the hockey gear themselves.  Luckily the departure agent was able to rebook the gear so that the sticks and hockey bag were together rather than separate items so we didn't have to pay separately for my son's clothes. 

This is feedback for Southwest to make a change in the check-in experience so you're more Ice Hockey friendly. I know a lot of families fly Southwest because of the baggage policy.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: How should Hockey Gear be checked in?

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

@DadofBrBoys wrote:

When you check in and you choose what type of sports gear you're checking it will list "Hockey Bag" under one of the options however this would then separate your hockey sticks. 

In talking with an agent at the Departures desk they suggested checking the baggage as "Ski" equipment so you get a "Skis and Boots" baggage claim tickets. This makes total sense but why not update the language so hockey families can more easily self-check the hockey gear themselves.  Luckily the departure agent was able to rebook the gear so that the sticks and hockey bag were together rather than separate items so we didn't have to pay separately for my son's clothes. 

This is feedback for Southwest to make a change in the check-in experience so you're more Ice Hockey friendly. I know a lot of families fly Southwest because of the baggage policy.

Hello-

Great point. Since this message board is customer-to-customer, it is likely your suggestion to simplify this experience will not be processed here. Would you forward your letter directly to Southwest Customer Service:

https://support.southwest.com/helpcenter/s/email-us

Click on Comment, Airport Experience, Ticket Counter/Kiosk and then fill out the form.

Re: How should Hockey Gear be checked in?

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

You can alsoDM the airline on social media!

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger