Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How to (possibly) fix preboarding once and for all

gabelogan99
Explorer A

I've heard the gate agents say that you need to have the PRBD designation on your boarding pass in order to preboard. But from what I've seen, this is never enforced. I think if you make people get that designation either at check-in or at the gate, fewer people will go out of their way to do it. And I'm just talking about the "scammers" not the people who necessarily need it. I'd say the people that absolutely DO need it have already had the conversation and already have the designation. Companions would need to get the designation as well, and if you tell the gate agent that you have five companions then that's going to be a no.

All I'm saying is use what's already in place and just enforce it. If you do not have the PRBD designation on your boarding pass, you do not get to preboard. Period. This shouldn't violate any laws because you're still allowing those who want to preboard to do so, they just have to take an extra step in order to do it.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: How to (possibly) fix preboarding once and for all

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@gabelogan99 wrote:

I've heard the gate agents say that you need to have the PRBD designation on your boarding pass in order to preboard. But from what I've seen, this is never enforced. I think if you make people get that designation either at check-in or at the gate, fewer people will go out of their way to do it. And I'm just talking about the "scammers" not the people who necessarily need it. I'd say the people that absolutely DO need it have already had the conversation and already have the designation. Companions would need to get the designation as well, and if you tell the gate agent that you have five companions then that's going to be a no.

All I'm saying is use what's already in place and just enforce it. If you do not have the PRBD designation on your boarding pass, you do not get to preboard. Period. This shouldn't violate any laws because you're still allowing those who want to preboard to do so, they just have to take an extra step in order to do it.

Counterpoint:

I believe nearly 100% of people that preboard have gotten it marked on their boarding passes, and anytime I've boarded with my mother who uses it we've been checked for having it. One time we didn't have it they still let her on since we were in the wheelchair and it was obvious.

I don't know if that would work for the companions, that may be an area of improvement enforcing only one helper/companion per preboarding passenger. I'm not sure about actually marking the peoples' boarding passed with that designation though since they aren't able to use it without the person who has requested it. If the original preboard passenger didn't fly for some reason or changed flights the helper would still have it on their boarding pass - I'd say no to that, or it would have to be "preboard companion" or some other marking than the same "PRBD" marker.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

gabelogan99
Explorer A

Ok. Maybe people really are already having that conversation at some point and getting the designation. I've just never had to personally have it when I preboard. But, I do always buy an extra seat. If someone is with me, I just say "they're with me" because they don't have it on their boarding pass either.

I just don't ever see that many people at the desk talking to the gate agent, for any reason, so I just assume that they aren't talking to them and thus not even getting the designation. I guess a lot of them just do it with an agent at check-in.

That's good to know.

floridaguy
Aviator C

I request preboard designation when I check my bags.  I use specific language and will not answer any other questions.  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@gabelogan99 wrote:

Ok. Maybe people really are already having that conversation at some point and getting the designation. I've just never had to personally have it when I preboard. But, I do always buy an extra seat. If someone is with me, I just say "they're with me" because they don't have it on their boarding pass either.

I just don't ever see that many people at the desk talking to the gate agent, for any reason, so I just assume that they aren't talking to them and thus not even getting the designation. I guess a lot of them just do it with an agent at check-in.

That's good to know.

Most people are getting it at the ticket counter, you can put the request on your ticket when you buy it that you need wheelchair or other assistance, and if the passenger didn't do that then the ticket counter will also add it if you ask for a wheelchair then.

The pushers at the airport are looking for you to have registered your request at the ticket counter although sometimes you can get assistance without requesting it in advance if they aren't super busy, on many days it is a line of people waiting for someone.

The only passengers who might be slipping through en masse would be people using preboard who are ambulatory but have a hidden disability or require a certain seat. These passengers could be requesting preboard at the ticket counter or else at the gate.

Regarding your other comment that you always "buy an extra seat" do you mean Customer of Size? Then that program includes preboarding to ensure that you get access to two seats together, and then your companion would be included so this is normal for the policy, but since you aren't using wheelchair assistance it is fine for you to check in at the Gate rather than the ticket counter.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.