Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Involuntary Bump / Stranded / Early Bird Checking is a Scam

ryaneagan
Explorer C

We were involuntarily bumped from our flight. Come to find out that Early Bird Checkin isn't really a checkin, it holds your boarding position, but doesn't count as a checkin, so we were last in the checkin list since we printed our boarding passes when we got to the airport. This meant we were the last to checkin and the first to get bumped for an oversold flight. The advertise and push early bird, but don't tell you this key information. Rather deceptive marketing to make a quick buck.

Meanwhile, our luggage took off without us, leaving us stranded in Denver, with sub freezing temperatures and no winter jacket because we put those in our checked luggage since overhead and carryon space is always a problem. They stole our luggage and stranded us without proper clothing in a harsh climate.

They gave us a check for the inconvenience and rebooked us for the next day, but doesn't help when we don't have jackets and have to expose ourselves to the cold to get to the shuttle and find a hotel.

Our rebooked flight was cancelled and rebooked, but if I wasn't checking my email, I would not have known and been able to properly checkin again.

The gate people did not provide us with a printed document explaining our rights as they should in accordance with DOT requirements, let alone could not tell us the base price of our leg for that flight in the refund they issued.

They don't care about customers, just about filling their planes to make a buck.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Involuntary Bump / Stranded / Early Bird Checking is a Scam

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I had always understood that to be a benefit of EBCI will try to confirm. 

There are some misconceptions about EBCI out there but “check in” is in the name of it so I would expect to be checked in. (But not be assured of an A position, etc.)

When did you add EBCI and what was your position that you were assigned when you did retrieve it? You’ll need your boarding pass to show that EBCI was applied to it. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

There are some misconceptions about EBCI out there but “check in” is in the name of it so I would expect to be checked in. (But not be assured of an A position, etc.)

When did you add EBCI and what was your position that you were assigned when you did retrieve it? You’ll need your boarding pass to show that EBCI was applied to it. 

@DancingDavidE 

Here is the defined definition under the EBCI policy. 

What is EarlyBird Check-In?
EarlyBird Check-In is an option giving you the convenience of automatic check-in before our traditional 24-hour check-in, depending on availability. As an EarlyBird Check-In Customer, you'll have the benefit of an earlier boarding position, a better opportunity to select your preferred available seat, and earlier access to overhead bin storage for your carryon luggage.

Also, under the Contract of Carriage (Section 9.6):

(6) Denied Boarding Priority Rules. The Carrier’s boarding priority is established on a first- come, first-served basis in the order boarding positions are secured. In determining which Passengers holding Confirmed Reserved Space shall be denied boarding involuntarily, the Carrier shall deny boarding in reverse order from the order in which the Passengers’ boarding positions were secured (i.e., the last Passenger who receives a boarding position will be the first Passenger denied boarding involuntarily in an oversale situation), with no preference given to any particular person or category of Fares.

To me, check-in is all said and done at the 36 hour mark under EBCI but I would see what Southwest says regarding of how this all relates to its denied boarding policy. The only other cause I could think of is there was a Same Day Flight Change or Same Day Standby done sometime before the flight was due to depart that would have bumped the person from their original EBCI spot to the last spot, hence the first for an involuntary bump but I could be wrong. 

Munsingerjc
Adventurer C

Interesting!! I was talking about the terms given on the email you get before travel. It says that you will need to check in 24 hours before scheduled time of departure to obtain your boarding pass. So they definitely should put it on their faq on their website haha. I can definitely see that part as confusing so I apologize for misreading that!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SoCalFlyer97 wrote:

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@DancingDavidE 

Also, under the Contract of Carriage (Section 9.6):

(6) Denied Boarding Priority Rules. The Carrier’s boarding priority is established on a first- come, first-served basis in the order boarding positions are secured. In determining which Passengers holding Confirmed Reserved Space shall be denied boarding involuntarily, the Carrier shall deny boarding in reverse order from the order in which the Passengers’ boarding positions were secured (i.e., the last Passenger who receives a boarding position will be the first Passenger denied boarding involuntarily in an oversale situation), with no preference given to any particular person or category of Fares.

This is what I was looking for - but still vague about what is "securing" your boarding position - it doesn't say "securing your boarding pass" which is a separate activity but which the OP may have been bumped because of it. (Unless this was one of those flights where 100% of the people got EBCI.

But anyway - what if a Business Select or A-list passenger gets their boarding pass at the airport - that's obviously not desirable to have either of those types bumped so it has to be the order of assigning boarding positions.

Therefore I suspect an EBCI error with the OP's flight, the EBCI should be protecting a passenger from being bumped. Either there was an error on acquiring EBCI, or the flight was changed less than 36 hours prior to departure, or another error (or glitch) is possible.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Munsingerjc
Adventurer C

Hey there! First off, the community here is to ask questions, not really to vent. If you have problems like this I would highly suggest you bring it up with customer service since there is virtually nothing we can do here as fellow passengers.

But anyways, I apologize this has happened to you! Early bird check in (as described in its terms) secures your boarding position. No where does it say it checks in for you. It clearly states that you must check in to get boarding pass 24 hours before scheduled departure time. Southwest did what they could, they rescheduled your flight, gave you money back, etc. Your luggage will most definitely get to you eventually I can assure you! Also, if you are just posting this today, as a resident, Denver is back up to the positive 40°, so you shouldn't have a great need for a winter coat😉.  All in all, Southwest has a longing reputation for their customer service so I apologize you are one of the rare occasions that someone is dissatisfied. 

Please make sure to read the terms next time, and happy travel!

Home airport DEN, Travel Agent. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

I wish SW would change the name "Early Bird CHECK IN" as some people do get confused.