Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Name Change on Ticket

akendall13
Explorer C

I've read some of the posts on the Community about name changes and how it is not possible to do so once the reservation. Here is my dilemma, though, when I made a reservation for my husband to fly and using my rewards number to get points, the confirmation email came back as my first name with his middle name and our shared last name. Our first names are very different and his name is longer than mine. I'm pretty sure I didn't input my first name. If, as others have said, I have to cancel the flight and use that credit under the name on the ticket within the next year, it's not going to match any name in our household. I won't be able to use it, he won't be able to use it because I don't have his middle name and he doesn't have my first name.

So, am I able to finagle just changing the first name. I'm 99.99% positive I entered his first name when making the reservation. Any way to fix this issue?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Name Change on Ticket

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Let me make sure I have this right.

You made a reservation for your husband, but used your RR number so you would get the points?

I don't think you are allowed to do that.

I suspect tht the problem is that your RR number is tied to your name. I believe that the system tried to use your name to make the reservation despite what you typed in. I'd be willing to bet that your RR account has only your first and last name (no middle name?).

So I think what happened is that the system overwrote the first name you typed in. Kept the middllename (if I'm right about you not haivng a middle name in your RR account there was no middle name to over write). Overwrote the last name, but since his is the same as yours you would not notice it.

Since you have a ticket in the name of no living person, I'd suggeast that you contact the airline,

explain that due to an error the name on the ticket does not belong to a living person, and ask for a refund. If that does not work, ask that they remove the middle name so that at least you get travel funds that you can nuse.

Detail on how are on the upper left of the contact us web page

https://www.southwest.com/contact-us/contact-us.html?clk=GFOOTER-CUSTOMER-CONTACT-US

akendall13
Explorer C

Thank you for the info. I assumed since I was paying for it I could get the points. I've known other folks that have done the same so not sure how they did the work around to get the points benefit. Ugh. Obviously, I'm not a frequent flyer and may be a bit naive about this. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@akendall13 wrote:

Thank you for the info. I assumed since I was paying for it I could get the points. I've known other folks that have done the same so not sure how they did the work around to get the points benefit. Ugh. Obviously, I'm not a frequent flyer and may be a bit naive about this. 

They may think that they did this, or had multiple RR accounts (not allowed)...the current system at any rate doesn’t allow you to earn the flight points from multiple flyers.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

akendall13
Explorer C

Update: Southwest has graciously assisted me with this dilemma and made things happen to solve the problem. This is why I fly Southwest. You guys are the best! And, thanks for the input from other community members. It was much appreciated. I have learned a valuable lesson.