Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

One hour 10 minute international layover in Atlanta

Lisahunt1231
Explorer C

Hello! I am looking to book a flight out of ATL on a Friday in May. It leaves at 8:05 am and arrives in Ft Lauderdale at 10:00. Then leaves for Montego Bay at 11:10am. We have always had a nonstop flight so want to make sure this is enough time for a layover in case first flight is delayed.  I read international flights board early? Any help you can offer is much appreciated. Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: One hour 10 minute international layover in Atlanta

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Lisahunt1231 wrote:

Hello! I am looking to book a flight out of ATL on a Friday in May. It leaves at 8:05 am and arrives in Ft Lauderdale at 10:00. Then leaves for Montego Bay at 11:10am. We have always had a nonstop flight so want to make sure this is enough time for a layover in case first flight is delayed.  I read international flights board early? Any help you can offer is much appreciated. Thank you!

TL;DR: If there is an earlier one go ahead and book it if it will help you not stress about your trip, but probably not necessary.

Full story - It will be tight if you are delayed. Is there an earlier option to standby from ATL to FLL? This may not be necessary - the timetable is built on Southwest expecting you to make it under normal circumstances. But try for it if you are having anxiety. Call in if weather is bad when the time for the flight comes and you may be able to change without paying for current fares.

An hour is usually enough - the "extra time" you hear about in articles is often with the other carriers flying 787, 777, A380's, etc. that carry many more passengers and it take a lot longer to board those huge aircraft. Southwest flying only 737's so the time might be a little longer for an 800/Max aircraft but generally sticking with the 30 minute time frame for any Southwest flight.

There is a minor extra amount of time for them to check that you have your passport but more like if boarding is 30 minutes prior then maybe it will be 40 minutes.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: One hour 10 minute international layover in Atlanta

Lisahunt1231
Explorer C

Thank you!