Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: PRE BOARD NONSENSE

dwjr
Explorer A

floridaguy
Aviator C

Saving seats is not permitted.  If the seat is open, you can sit in it.  If the person next to you complains, call for a flight attendant and take a nap.

kierants
Explorer B

Why do you use pre board?

WBruceW
Explorer C

Southwest needs to stop advertising Business Select fares as some sort of advantage. When you allow anyone with a cane or a wheelchair (with B & C list boarding passes) to jump in front people who have purchased an upgraded (A-list) place in line to board, and we end up six rows back or worse, our purchase has become money thrown away. For those in a wheelchair, make them purchase business select or A-list like everyone else, or don’t sell it to me and just give it away. If you are going to give the first 15 rows to disabled folks, then just do it.

floridaguy
Aviator C

This has been covered many times before.  Southwest cannot make disabled persons purchase upgraded boarding positions.

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

"When you allow anyone with a cane or a wheelchair (with B & C list boarding passes) to jump in front people who have purchased an upgraded (A-list) place in line to board, and we end up six rows back or worse, our purchase has become money thrown away. For those in a wheelchair, make them purchase business select or A-list like everyone else, or don’t sell it to me and just give it away. If you are going to give the first 15 rows to disabled folks, then just do it."

@WBruceW  you've crossed a line.  You are going to penalize those that are truly disabled just so you can get a what you deem as a better seat on the plane? I understand some abuse the situation.  But, have you ever thought for a moment that someone who is disabled might just check in day of flight to obtain a C boarding number so you able bodied people can get a higher boarding number? My husband does this and he would give his right arm to not be disabled.  Have some compassion.  You do have a seat on the plane.  Last time I flew, I was in the back and still got off within about 15 minutes.  

floridaguy
Aviator C

There are threads like this in the discussion forum that go back to 2014.  

The law requires Southwest to allow those with a disability to preboard.  The law also goes on to say that if you "self declare" as a person with a disability, that's all you have to do.  Yes, there are people who fudge this every time, but there is no medical diagnosis required, either.  So, if you tell yourself that you have anxiety about seating position, overhead bin space, waiting, etc. then in your mind you can "self declare" and away you go.

However, the main ingredient in this soup is OPEN SEATING.  Without open seating, very few would have any incentive to fudge the system.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

This has been and continues to be a touchy subject. WBruceW's comment about the Business Select Fare's advertising is a valid issue because Southwest advertises that with Business Select you get:

"Priority Boarding A-1 to A-15" and they go on to state Business Select gets you,  "A better boarding position so you’ll be one of the first Customers to board the plane. In an irregular operation situation, the boarding position is not guaranteed."

So if you are not one of the FIRST customers to board the plane as advertised. Isn't that false advertising??

Maybe it's time to remove these statements from the Business Select Fare description?

OR 

Find a practical methodogy to deliver on these promises?

Just a thought

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

Even after 18 preboarders that MIGHT take the 1st 3 rows, you still get a decent seat.  And, out of 175+ seats on a plane, technically, you are still one of the first to board, in my mind.  

Yes, someone will argue about being one of the "First".  Guess the definition of "First" needs to be explained more, because if you are A15, you technically aren't first either.

Again, you have a seat on the plane, pick an open seat, sit back and enjoy your flight.  You too, along with the preboarders, will get to your destination. 

WBruceW
Explorer C

Ya, my problem was never really with disabled folks pre-boarding—it’s about SW charging the amount they do for Business select and then not really delivering anything.  From now on, if I fly SW, I wont be throwing money away on Business select—problem solved for me anyway.