Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Pre-Board Abuse

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

If everybody boarded can plane leave gate early 

Here is my short-term solution.  I doubt it will please everybody, but here goes. 

1) Those who are visibly in a wheelchair (and I know this can be misused as well)  should board first.

2) Those A-15 Business Select that actually put out the huge sum of money to get that position board next.  

3) Any other Pre-boarders go third.  

4) Then the A-16 on up in order.  

That's just my thoughts.  And that puts me at # 4 since unless the only price left, I never buy business select. 

Re: Pre-Board Abuse

floridaguy
Aviator C

Preboard goes first and has best selection of seats.  Unless Southwest goes to assigned seating that will not change.

The issue is not preboarding, the issue is, as has been said hundreds of times before...

OPEN SEATING

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@floridaguy 

So, I've been informed it's open seating that helps keep the prices down.  But who knows, this issue just isn't one that bothers me.  As an ALister, I'm sure this happens to me every flight, somebody from pre-board bags a row or two in front of me....so what.  

floridaguy
Aviator C

Please refer back to the original contributor.

Thank you.

Lukeshoulders
Explorer C

Actually a good idea. But should board business select first.  SW counter employee can't be asked to judge if seems disability is "true" and in this way those paying business select actually get choice of seat.  

Absolutely nothing more frustrating then paying the extra to be the 40th person on the plane.  And always, the preboards are saving seats.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

This is actually the solution, if the prospective pre-boarder is unable to articulate one of the "above-listed reasons," as noted in the DOT issued guidance, there is no reason to pre-board. It is right there in black and white. 

Open seating has nothing to do with it.

Will SWA train gate personnel to ask the question in the appropriate fashion to filter out the scammers/abusers? I doubt it, because this takes additional time and there is potential liability if the SWA representative asks the questions incorrectly. (everyone is a jailhouse lawyer now and everyone has a cell phone that takes video.)

The pre-boarding abuse is real, the solution is there in the DOT guidance memo from 10 years ago.

floridaguy
Aviator C

As a passenger, I arrive at the check-in and announce to the agent the following:

"I need to preboard and am self-identifying as an individual with a disability who needs to do so to be seated."

If you use the term "extra time" you will be designated between Group A and Group B boarding.  So, use your words carefully.

Any further questioning inhibits a person's rights.  

LegalTender
Explorer C

ACAA mandates Southwest pre-board on a "say-so" disability self-identification. No follow-up.

I can't park 30 feet from Home Depot w/o notarized medical certificate cleared by 2 state agencies.

Something seems misguided.

Eligibility.pngGA Disability Permit Application.png

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

The system isn't perfect - but complaining to Southwest won't go too far, the legislation would have to be changed to require any sort of equivalent pre-boarding pass. That isn't a policy that Southwest can implement themselves.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

JameGumb
Explorer C

This is called: Blowing you off.