Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Preboard scam needs addressed

floridaguy
Aviator C

There are posts about this going back to 2014.  The issue here is not preboarding, the issue is OPEN SEATING.

Southwest has a policy of open seating.  On every single airline, the preboard goes first.  On other airlines, they go first into their assigned seats.  On Southwest, they go first and get the best choice of seats.

Soon all of the preboards will be assigned a boarding position and the remaining six people can just get on the plane afterwards.

Until Federal law changes, this will continue unabated.  

Jima
Explorer B

Charge a pre-boarding fee of $10 for the privilege of getting on before the Business Select customers. 

I fly weekly and rarely see as many preboarders on other airlines as I do on SWA for some reason. 

Board Business Select and then the pre- boarders. I just flew Business Select and paid over $700 for my 1-way ticket and there were 23 pre-boarders ahead of me holding A1.  

Jima
Explorer B

Charge a pre-boarding fee of $10 for the privilege of getting on before the Business Select customers. 

floridaguy
Aviator C

Might I suggest that you review FEDERAL LAW before posting such comments as recommendations to Southwest?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Jima wrote:

Only if SW doesn;t mind violating federal law.

bballflyer
Adventurer C

I would add that having pre-boarders also have to wait to get off the plane until last would curb those that take advantage of the rules and policies.  If they need special assistance to board then it makes sense to me to wait until everyone is off to get that same special assistance to de-board off.  I have seen this at other airlines and it seems fair.

floridaguy
Aviator C

NOT ONE SINGLE AIRLINE REQUIRES A PREBOARD PASSENGER TO REMAIN ON THE PLANE AS YOU DESCRIBE.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bballflyer wrote:

I would add that having pre-boarders also have to wait to get off the plane until last would curb those that take advantage of the rules and policies.  If they need special assistance to board then it makes sense to me to wait until everyone is off to get that same special assistance to de-board off.  I have seen this at other airlines and it seems fair.

They don't all need assistance to board, some need a specific seat.

But I see what you are saying, when traveling with my mom we will wait until it is confirmed that there is a pusher there with a wheelchair. 

But that goes both ways, with the wheelchair crew there in the way the preboarders that are using them should go. If there isn't one ready, then wait.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.