Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Preboarding for people that are legally disabled

Jhonnybravo4321
Explorer C

My question is.. I am legally disabled and have and will bring paper work with me to my flight. I require to enter the air craft and sit next to my wife in front of the plane. My disability is invisible but like I said I have paper work stating I am legally disabled. I assume when I check in at the airport I will just tell southwest I am disabled and need preboarding for me and my wife and here is proof. My proof is the disabled documents stating I'm disabled form the state. I assume after this me and my wife will be issued preboarding ?????? Is this how it will go? I don't wanna be judged or questioned.I know people hate diablabled preboarders especially when they themselves can't see the disability but that's not my fault. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Preboarding for people that are legally disabled

floridaguy
Aviator C

Under FEDERAL LAW, (The Air Carrier Access Act) you self-declare as an individual with a disability and present where you check in your luggage as such.

Do not answer any other questions about "needing extra time", only the question about whether you need assistance to board.

If you are pressed about the "needing extra time", repeat the following words nonstop until you receive a preboard assignment:

I AM REQUESTING THE ABILITY TO PREBOARD UNDER THE AIR CARRIER ACCESS ACT.

Jhonnybravo4321
Explorer C

Thanks for the help. How come I can't answer the question about needing more time to board? Seems like it would be easiest to just show them paper work proving I'm  deemed disabled by the state because by looking at me you would think I'm fine. I'm just worried they will cause an issue about this whole thing. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

You do not need to prove you are disabled and federal law prevents the airline for asking for proof. just tell the airline that you need to preboard.

Jhonnybravo4321
Explorer C

Thanks for the comment. My only concern is I read that the south west employes are trained in asking you some kind of questions to see if you qualify for disability preboarding.  I feel like I shouldn't have to explain myself but do understand people lie and take advantage of this so that's why I was just gonna bring paper work that shows I'm deemed disability by the state.

floridaguy
Aviator C

If you answer YES to the question about needing extra time, you will be assigned the EXTRA TIME series which is between group A and group B.

However, feel free to entertain all of the questions despite the advice that you are given.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Jhonnybravo4321 wrote:

My question is.. I am legally disabled and have and will bring paper work with me to my flight. I require to enter the air craft and sit next to my wife in front of the plane. My disability is invisible but like I said I have paper work stating I am legally disabled. I assume when I check in at the airport I will just tell southwest I am disabled and need preboarding for me and my wife and here is proof. My proof is the disabled documents stating I'm disabled form the state. I assume after this me and my wife will be issued preboarding ?????? Is this how it will go? I don't wanna be judged or questioned.I know people hate diablabled preboarders especially when they themselves can't see the disability but that's not my fault. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

There's no controlling what others think but the preboarding part will work fine just as you've described.

No one from Southwest will want to see your paperwork, they may ask you to describe your need to preboard as far as specific seat, extra time, etc. to describe the accommodation that you need but will not question you about any condition that you have.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.