Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Redeeming (4) Upgrades with Southwest Credit Card

srogers19
Explorer C

I booked my flight with points, and when I go on the app to upgrade my flight it only allows me to use points to upgrade. Since I booked with points, am I only allowed to utilize points to upgrade? Is there a way around this so I can use my credit card for the charge and thus be credited back? Trying to utilize my (4) free upgrades on my credit card. Thank you for any advice 🙂

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Redeeming (4) Upgrades with Southwest Credit Card

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

@srogers19 wrote:

I booked my flight with points, and when I go on the app to upgrade my flight it only allows me to use points to upgrade. Since I booked with points, am I only allowed to utilize points to upgrade? Is there a way around this so I can use my credit card for the charge and thus be credited back? Trying to utilize my (4) free upgrades on my credit card. Thank you for any advice 🙂

Hi!

When you stated that you wanted to "upgrade my flight", I'm note sure if you want to upgrade the Fare Class (e.g. WGA to WGA+) or take advantage of the Upgraded Boarding credit card perk. Assuming the latter. Please confirm which one.

A fare class upgrade difference is payable with points only (reservation can also be cancelled, points returned and rebooked on the card under a new confirmation #).

However, Upgraded Boarding is payable by card and will be available 24 hours of departure time after you check in. 

srogers19
Explorer C

Thank you! Yes I did mean upgraded boarding, so I will try when I am within 24 hours of boarding. Thanks again Ill report back with any issues 🙂

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

For future reference, "upgraded boarding" availability is only available if the flight has NOT sold out of all the Business Select tickets, (A1 to A15.) If there are available slots in A1 to A15, the day of the flight they will sell you the upgrade. The upgrade will be charged to your RR credit card and then credited back on a separate line item, (at least that has been my experience historically).

Hope this helps

Safe travels

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@srogers19 wrote:

Thank you! Yes I did mean upgraded boarding, so I will try when I am within 24 hours of boarding. Thanks again Ill report back with any issues 🙂

Just to clarify I've usually seen this the same day of the flight, I'm not sure if they offer it when you check in at T-24 for a flight the next day. It is usually something you get at the airport.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@srogers19 wrote:

Just to clarify I've usually seen this the same day of the flight, I'm not sure if they offer it when you check in at T-24 for a flight the next day. It is usually something you get at the airport.

It is advertised as being available at t-24 hours -- unlike same day confirmed  WGA+ change which is advertised as "same day."

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@srogers19 wrote:

Yes, Upgraded Boarding is available for sale on the phone app and website at the 24 hour mark and after completing check-in. Since I normally don't buy Early Bird Check-In, I usually make the decision to buy Upgraded Boarding at the 24 hour mark if I check in and get a deep B or further back position and flight demand appears to be high enough where the probability of a full flight will be likely.