Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Should I put items in a checked or carry on bag?

Vjester7
Explorer C

Hi all, I am flying home for Christmas and have some Christmas Presents that I need to figure out where to put so all help is appreciated!

I have:

-3 small wooden signs

-small koozies

-bracelets / ring

Thank You!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Should I put items in a checked or carry on bag?

dfwskier
Aviator A

Rule of thumb:

NEVER put anything in checked bags that you really can;t afford to lose: valuables, meds, sentimental items, etc.

Not many checked bags get lost, but some do -- more than carry ons.

StAugustine
Frequent Flyer C

You should have them in your carryon. Just remember that if they are wrapped, TSA may unwrap them. Best to wrap when you get to your destination.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Speaking for myself, and I'm sure others who will agree but won't go on the record, I am beyond tired of people dragging their entire inventory of items as carry-on items.  Check those items.

Air travel is becoming a chore because everyone gives their kids two carry on items and the boarding process becomes a circus.

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@Vjester7 wrote:

Hi all, I am flying home for Christmas and have some Christmas Presents that I need to figure out where to put so all help is appreciated!

I have:

-3 small wooden signs

-small koozies

-bracelets / ring

Thank You!

Hola @Vjester7 

If able, I echo @StAugustine  and @dfwskier and would pack them in your carry-on if able, especially the jewelry. It's always a good practice to transport valuables as carry-on (or in your personal item bag if possible in case you get separated from your checked baggage). However, if the signs have any pointed/sharp edges, TSA may have a problem with allowing them on the plane as carry-on. TSA has a really good portal to double check this:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/all

Twitter: @AskTSA
Facebook Messenger: www.fb.com/AskTSA
Apple Business Chat: AskTSA
Text Message: Text "Travel" to AskTSA (275-872)

If that's the case, I would have these gifts shipped separately to your destination address in case TSA does not allow these to pass through.

If no sharp edges, then I would include these in your carry on but when going through TSA, I would voluntarily remove the signs from the carry-on and place them directly into the X-ray machine tray as it's possible they could still trigger a secondary inspection if packed away.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Vjester7 wrote:

I have:

-3 small wooden signs

-small koozies

-bracelets / ring

Thank You!

These sound like checked items to mee unless the bracelets/ring are valuable they can probably be carry on, especially if they are small you won't notice them in addition to your other items in the carry on.

Signs and koozies seems like checking would be easier.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.