Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

UPGRADE Boarding is a RIP OFF as long as PreBoarding exists.

Ellena
Explorer C

I will NEVER Fly SOUTHWEST again. 

I bought a ticket from San Diego to Chicago. Paid for EARLY BIRD check in.  The day before departure, SWA CANCELED the flight. They rebooked me 2 days later but did not include "EARLY Bird" check in, as I previously paid for it. When I went to check in, I was in the C Group! Frustrated, I THEN PURCHASED UPGRADED BOARDING for $110.00. I was so excited to get A4! I had major back surgery and sitting in cramped seats make it extremely uncomfortable not only on my back, but my legs, which is why I need the extra leg room to stretch them out. 

When it came time to board I was SHOCKED at the amount of "preboarders" there were. At least 25 people and only 2 with wheelchairs.  Needless to say, ALL the first rows were taken by the time I boarded, and the empty seats were "saved". I wound up in isle 12 between 2 people!!

Either a) LIMIT the number of PreBoarders per flight, b) Charge a FEE for preboarders and make them request it at BOOKING, not at the gate or c) DISCONTINUE your BOARDING upgrade option, since as long as you're gonna allow anyone with a TOOTHACHE to preboard, then people like ME will be paying extra fir absolutely NOTHING!!

20 REPLIES 20

Re: UPGRADE Boarding is a RIP OFF as long as PreBoarding exists.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Please share your frustrations with Southwest directly, by clicking on the contact us link at the bottom of the page.

Ellena
Explorer C

I did email them as well as called. I know the people behind me also questioning the preboarders were also talking about contacting SWA. Not sure if they also PAID for upgraded boarding as well. 

Munsingerjc
Adventurer C

Hello there! Thank you so much for sharing and I completely understand your frustration. Although, as I have said to many other people, the community is for legitimate questions, not to vent. By posting this you leave many community members reading your vent rather than assisting others. There is virtually nothing that we can do since this is not a southwest-employed customer service platform, we are just a bunch of random people! But I do want to mention... Why were you stuck between 2 people? Having A4 means you are the 4th person AFTER preboarding to board. You say there were roughly 25 preboarders, I am going to just go with the smallest aircraft for perspective. The boring 737-700 seats 143 people. If only 28 (including A1-3) boarded before you, there is absolutely no reason why you would have had to sit in the middle seat, at this point it is a personal choice and Southwest had nothing to do with that. To conclude, Preboard is for passengers who have a disability, may need some extra time, or simply need help! They each get a companion so how could you be mad that disabled people board the plane before you so they can get some extra time? Something to think about.

Thank you for posting in the community!!! 😉

Travel Agent, Home base, DEN

JakeT2013
Explorer C

Because Jetway Jesus is real. If preboarders were actually disabled we would have compassion for them, but at least 50% of the time they are not. It's really great to see the miracle power of Southwest to heal this people while on board. Get on with a disability and miraculously they are cured when they get off the plane!!!! Jetway Jesus to the rescue!!!!

JameGumb
Explorer C

That is awesome. I have seen the effects of "Jetway Jesus" on multiple occasions. 10 wheelchairs board. Once you deplane, eight unused wheelchairs are left and the majority of the preboarders are miracuoulsy cured and shuffle off. Meanwhile, SWA ignores the problem.

mrsstats
Adventurer C

I have said this before I don't understand why the law allows this.  When you have a disability and need a special parking permit you have to have a form completed by your doctor.  Why is it not the same for flying?   If you truly have a disability then you should be allowed to preboard.   But I personally know people who abuse the preboarding.   

gsking
Aviator C

@mrsstats wrote:

I have said this before I don't understand why the law allows this.  When you have a disability and need a special parking permit you have to have a form completed by your doctor.  Why is it not the same for flying?   If you truly have a disability then you should be allowed to preboard.   But I personally know people who abuse the preboarding.   

Agreed.  I saw a DB waltz up to preboard and saw him chilling casually in the front row when I boarded.    I'm no doctor, but there's no  legitimate reason, obvious or otherwise, that he needed to board first.    

They've changed the rules on animals.  They need to change the rules on people who act like animals.  

JameGumb
Explorer C

Very good point. All things will be abused but SWA should at least try to curb it. They don't. 

floridaguy
Aviator C

Preboarding will exist under Federal law changes.  I expect that air travel will become obsolete before the Air Carrier Access Act is either changed or repealed.

It is what it is.