Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: UPGRADE Boarding is a RIP OFF as long as PreBoarding exists.

PettyIntrigues
Adventurer A

How did you get a middle seat with A4 even with (supposedly) 25 preboarders? That is a choice.

Ellena
Explorer C

For those questioning my seating, did you read where I said those already seated were SAVING SEATS? I also may have under estimated the number of preboarders as well. Trust me..everyone in the A group was questioning the number of preboarders. I'm not questioning the concept and need as much as the fact that SWA will charge $$ for "good seats" they know probably won't be available 

Munsingerjc
Adventurer C

Oh no I completely understand that people saved seats. Again, assuming you were on southwest smallest aircraft, 737-700, with there being 48 3-seat rows each person would have had to reserve like atleast 4 rows for that little seats to be available. So even with the saved seats, it still doesn't Check out.

Ellena
Explorer C

Whatever. You seem bent on calling me a liar. A MINIMUM of 25 people boarded before the A group. 90% of these people were all saving seats. The closest to the up front bathroom was I believe 12 so I chose that seat which happened to be between 2 people. Even if it was row 8, it STILL wasn't worth paying $110 for the Upgrade Boarding, and the additional Early Bird cost. 

Invisibleman
Explorer C

I am a 72 year old single man.  At first blush I look much younger and often walk and act younger, and you would never know I have any challenges at all.  That said, I have severe Lyme disease and often become slightly dementia like.  A bit disoriented and sometimes a bit dizzy or don't quite get my footing right so I have to be very careful taking my steps, watching for obstacles, elevation changes on the jetway, etc.  It may not look like it but I have to choose my footing carefully.  I've NEVER asked to be preboarded.  I do, however, find it helpful to get boarded in the A1-15 especially when having a tight connection as it gives me a lot more time to find the next gate.  I also NEED an aisle seat as I need to get up to often for the toilet.  I usually pay the extra $50-75 bucks for the upgrade at the gate.  But sometimes that isn't available.  I believe there is a Federal law that requires the airlines to be able to declare a need and get to preboard.  

Section 382.93,  As a carrier you must offer preboarding to passengers with a disability who self-identify at the gate as needing additional time or assistance to board, stow accessibility equipment, or be seated.

So, if that is so, and I have that right, please don't assume I am a scammer, even though I agree there are many.  I have never tried to exercise that rule.  I'd actually find it embarrassing or demeaning to stand in the preboard line amongst wheelchairs and obviously disabled people when my condition is comparatively minor.  I would prefer to just be able to get into the A1-15 section.  But as there seems to be no clear policy it seems every boarding is a crapshoot.  Will the Earlybird get me a decent spot?  Will there be Business Class upgrade at the gate.  Do I have the money for the upgrade.?  It shouldn't have to be like this.  Personally, I think any Senior Citizen should be afforded the convenience of early boarding, at LEAST the A1-15.  That's my humble opinion.  Thanks for listening.  Oh, BTW, I recently flew JetBlue out of necessity.  I never had before.  I ended up the D boarding, which I didn't even realize.  I went to the gate and asked if there was any upgrade boarding available.  The nice attendant asked for my ID, and handed me back an A boarding.  I asked how much I owe, and she said it was no charge.  She didn't say why she did that, but I appreciated it.  It really should be that simple and stress free.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Invisibleman wrote:

But as there seems to be no clear policy it seems every boarding is a crapshoot.  Will the Earlybird get me a decent spot?  Will there be Business Class upgrade at the gate.  Do I have the money for the upgrade.?  It shouldn't have to be like this.  Personally, I think any Senior Citizen should be afforded the convenience of early boarding, at LEAST the A1-15.

There is a policy - if you need to be seated in a specific location you should tell the ticket counter or gate agent that, and you can preboard. I don't think you need to feel noble for not using the service - it's provided specifically for someone who has needs as you describe, go for it.

@Invisibleman wrote:

Personally, I think any Senior Citizen should be afforded the convenience of early boarding, at LEAST the A1-15.  That's my humble opinion.  Thanks for listening.  Oh, BTW, I recently flew JetBlue out of necessity.  I never had before.  I ended up the D boarding, which I didn't even realize.  I went to the gate and asked if there was any upgrade boarding available.  The nice attendant asked for my ID, and handed me back an A boarding.  I asked how much I owe, and she said it was no charge.  She didn't say why she did that, but I appreciated it.  It really should be that simple and stress free.

If the senior has any of the needs for accommodation then they also can go for it the policy is there for people that need an accommodation. 

JetBlue a little different though - your seat assignment didn't change, but you can board early since you asked. Southwest obviously a little more complicated in this department since it is open seating and getting onboard earlier gets first access to seating.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

The middle seat thing I think is your prioritization of front vs aisle/window but if Southwest changed/canceled your flight then you should get a refund of EBCI. Use Contact Southwest Customer Service  to request it.

EBCI is non-refundable due to your actions to cancel, but not Southwest's actions.

If the flight was changed within the 36 hour window then it would be impossible to assign a position for EBCI.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

I heard a little song the other day at MCO and again at PIT.

Jhonnybravo4321
Explorer C

I am legally disabled by the state. I need preboarding. If u looked at me you would think I'm not disabled so does that make u believe I don't deserve preboarding??? Air carrier access act. People will always break the rules that's just life. I guess it would be nice if south west made u show paper work proving  disablity if u wanna pre board. That would weed out the fakes.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Jhonnybravo4321 wrote:

. I guess it would be nice if south west made u show paper work proving  disablity if u wanna pre board. That would weed out the fakes.

That would be against the law.