Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Young Travelers With KTN

vminium
Explorer C

I am the parent of two young travelers. Each of my children and myself all have our own Known Traveler Number (KTN.) If I am accompanying them through security and to their gate can we all still go through TSA Pre-Check even though I do not have a ticket?

When they arrive at the airport for their return flight the person accompanying them to their gate does have a KTN. Does these mean they will have to go through the normal TSA line or will they be able to go through the TSA Pre-Check since both ticket holders have their own KTN?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Young Travelers With KTN

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

@vminium wrote:

I am the parent of two young travelers. Each of my children and myself all have our own Known Traveler Number (KTN.) If I am accompanying them through security and to their gate can we all still go through TSA Pre-Check even though I do not have a ticket?

When they arrive at the airport for their return flight the person accompanying them to their gate does have a KTN. Does these mean they will have to go through the normal TSA line or will they be able to go through the TSA Pre-Check since both ticket holders have their own KTN?

Hello,

If you are accompanying minors to/from the gate utilizing a Gate Pass, you'll go through Standard Screening, not PreCheck regardless of membership. That's because current Trusted Traveler status is validated through the airline reservation which does not apply to Gate Passes.

From TSA's Website:

Do Gate Passes give TSA PreCheck® benefits to parents accompanying minors through security?
No. Parents accompanying children through airport security via gate passes will always be directed to standard screening as TSA PreCheck benefits do not apply to gate passes. This applies even if the parent has enrolled in TSA PreCheck.

https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/faq

Re: Young Travelers With KTN

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@vminium wrote:

You can use Clear if you have it, but PreCheck will only be for ticketed passengers. I have tried this before and unfortunately there's not a provision for PreCheck on gate passes.

No reason the kids won't be able to use PreCheck if it is on their boarding passes though, if you don't mind them heading through without you.

That would be a change - they let kids through with PreCheck adults, this would be the opposite.

If the PreCheck line is short give it a try, but you won't have PreCheck on the gate pass.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.