Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

personal item question

friday713
Explorer C

Hi everybody!

So I am flying in August and I am aware of the new policy regarding personal items. I haven't flown since before covid. The bag that I like and am considering getting is 16.53x6.3x10.63. Would this fit in the space under a seat if I don't stuff the bag completely?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: personal item question

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@friday713 wrote:

Hi everybody!

So I am flying in August and I am aware of the new policy regarding personal items. I haven't flown since before covid. The bag that I like and am considering getting is 16.53x6.3x10.63. Would this fit in the space under a seat if I don't stuff the bag completely?

Travelpro luggage says for Southwest:

Southwest Airlines 18.5 x 13.5 x 8.5 inches

...so potentially yes, it would go on its side.

If you have a link to the bag it might help get a visual on it. Basically purses and normal size backpacks will be fine in most cases.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Munsingerjc
Adventurer C

Hey there! Yes definitely. I have a bag in similar size and it fits perfectly! As long as you don't overstuff it, you should be fine, but you can also travel rest assured that in case it doesn't fit, you can always opt to use it as your free carry on that goes above you. Every passenger gets 2 free checked bags, 1 free carry on, and 1 free personal. So there is lots of ways to get that bag on your plane but it should most definitely fit under the seat in front of you! I hope I answered your question!

Travel Agent, Homebase DEN, Frequent traveler to the west coast.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Munsingerjc wrote:

Hey there! Yes definitely. I have a bag in similar size and it fits perfectly! As long as you don't overstuff it, you should be fine, but you can also travel rest assured that in case it doesn't fit, you can always opt to use it as your free carry on that goes above you. Every passenger gets 2 free checked bags, 1 free carry on, and 1 free personal. So there is lots of ways to get that bag on your plane but it should most definitely fit under the seat in front of you! I hope I answered your question!

Travel Agent, Homebase DEN, Frequent traveler to the west coast.

Good point, if this is your only carry-on item then you should be good either way, subject to bin space being available.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.