Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

At LAX, do TSA lines open before 4 AM for 5 AM Southwest flights?

LAflyer78
Explorer C

On the Southwest website, the Airport Information screen (pop-up at red exclamation point) specifies LAX check-in opens 120 minutes before first departure on Saturday-Sunday. Accordingly, for a 5 AM Sunday flight, check-in would apparently open at 3 AM.

However, the official LAX website states that the hours of operation for Terminal 1 begin at 4 AM. This would imply that the TSA lines do not open until 4 AM. Does anyone have recent accurate information as to when the TSA lines actually open?

If dozens of people check-in from 3-4 AM, and are waiting for TSA at 4 AM, I could expect difficulty in clearing security in time to enjoy A and B boarding priority for a 5 AM flight.

Thank you for your response.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: At LAX, do TSA lines open before 4 AM for 5 AM Southwest flights?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

TSA shows the Terminal 1 PreCheck lane opens at 2am on Sunday. 

https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/schedule

PreCheck being open would indicate regular lanes are open too. 

Considering how busy LAX is I highly doubt the difficulty you described occurs or it would be something you'd be hearing a lot about.

Please report back with your experience. 

--TheMiddleSeat

LAflyer78
Explorer C

Thank you for your reply, and the link to the TSA-Pre schedule. I do see that TSA at LAX Terminal 1 is scheduled to be open Sunday during 3-4 AM. That timing should enable flyers to be at the Southwest gate when boarding begins for a 5 AM flight.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Agreed.  Looks like you should be good!

Capture.JPG

-A List, Companion Pass holder