Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

62" Linear dimension for golf clubs to fly free? - that can't be right, surely?

lakerat789
Explorer C

Taking my clubs for a 5 day golfing trip and according to the website I have a maximum limit of 62 linear inches to comply with the bag rule to avoid paying $75 each way - 

Per website:
" If the item of sporting equipment exceeds 50 pounds in weight or 62 inches in size (outside length plus height plus width), excess weight and size charges may apply."

There's not a commercially available golf travel bag that is within that dimension restriction unless you are taking a set of kids clubs. I know my clubs + bag plus travel case (I have both a hardshell and a softshell and neither are within 62")  weigh less than 50 lbs - but I'm concerned I'm going to get popped for oversize baggage each way - can anyone with experience let me know what kind of traval cover they used for their clubs to  fit within these restrictions?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: 62" Linear dimension for golf clubs to fly free? - that can't be right, surely?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

If you go back to the website, there is an additional section on "sporting equippment" that describes golf clubs having their own requirements separate of the size and weight for general luggage.

In a nutshell golf bags are obviously very common, and allowed, but check the specific requirements...most likely you will be fine after reading that section, especially if you have ever checked them on other airlines.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: 62" Linear dimension for golf clubs to fly free? - that can't be right, surely?

lakerat789
Explorer C

Actually the reason that I posted this question on the discussion group was because I had spoken to customer service this morning regarding this issue and the person I spoke to was adamant that's the 62 linear inch requirement was the standard and anything over that I would be charged. I have flown other Airlines and paid for my bag in the past, so I was quite hopeful that's the golf bag fly free would apply, but it really is not that clear on the website and obviously not to customer service either.

I must have missed something on the website if it states that the 62 linear inch requirement does not pertain to golf bags

Thank you for the reply though 🙂

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@lakerat789 wrote:

Actually the reason that I posted this question on the discussion group was because I had spoken to customer service this morning regarding this issue and the person I spoke to was adamant that's the 62 linear inch requirement was the standard and anything over that I would be charged. I have flown other Airlines and paid for my bag in the past, so I was quite hopeful that's the golf bag fly free would apply, but it really is not that clear on the website and obviously not to customer service either.

I must have missed something on the website if it states that the 62 linear inch requirement does not pertain to golf bags

Thank you for the reply though 🙂

There are some other golf bag write-ups where since the golf bag section specifically refers to the weight allowance, but not the size it had been stated that there really aren't any golf bags that would be under the limit, and other flyers hadn't been charge for size.

Maybe someone who had flown with their clubs more recently can weigh in though.

You might also try to confirm officially by Twitter (@SouthwestAir) or Facebook.

Excerpt from https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html#baggage_special_lug... for those that didn't already look this up and find this post later.

Sports Equipment - Baggage Allowance

Any of the items listed below may be checked in substitution of one piece of the free Checked Baggage allowance for each Passenger at no charge on a one-item-for-one-bag basis. If the item of sporting equipment exceeds 50 pounds in weight or 62 inches in size (outside length plus height plus width), excess weight and size charges may apply.

• Golf bag in hard-sided golf bag carrying case provided by Passenger, including clubs, balls, and shoes. Hooded golf bags or golf bags in a soft-sided carrying case provided by the Passenger will be subject to limited release.
    Note: Overweight charges will apply to golf bags exceeding 50 pounds.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Also this one implies that a "regular" sized golf bag would be free.

https://www.southwest.com/html/air/bags-fly-free.html

lakerat789
Explorer C

This is the official reply I recieved from customer service - if only they made it clear as this reply on the website..(note, no menition of the 62" linear requirement!)

"Dear Richard,

Thank you for contacting us in regards to your upcoming travel to Colorado. I welcome the opportunity to address your concerns.

Golf clubs will be accepted in substitution of one of the two free pieces of checked baggage at no additional charge provided the bag does not exceed 50 pounds in weight. Golf clubs in a hooded or soft-sided golf bag will be transported as a "limited release" item (Passenger agrees to assume risk of damage). Golf equipment includes clubs, balls, and shoes contained in one bag. It is important to note that overweight charges will apply if the golf bag exceeds 50 pounds.

We appreciate you choosing Southwest, and we look forward to welcoming you and the rest of your golf group onboard in June!

Sincerely,

Caroline Rohan, Southwest Airlines

The file reference number for your email is 2241280328460"