Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Disappointed

ahightower
Explorer C

So today I went to book my husband and my anniversary trip to Cabo - excited that we get to go back and that we had $300 in unused funds! So I go to book and they are not recognizing the ticket... weird... I use this site all the time and fly A-List and have no idea what is going on. I call to find out that they are expired as of February... no warning. Then when the lady on the phone who was polite but not helpful says "there is an expiration date on the email." So I read the entire email and all it says is that it expires on the expiration date... but no where was there an expiration date... then she says "oh well we post it online when you purchase the ticket." That's helpful... I cannot believe that Southwest would not send a reminder. I have flown like 15 times this year already and would have happily used them before expiring. I am so incredibly disappointed and feel like this policy should be reviewed or made better aware, such as a confirmation warning button when cancelling that you have 1 year to fly. I feel like for a company so bent on making the customers first this policy and the secrecy is beneath them. I will defintely be looking to another airline when flying cross country - no need to bend over and try and keep points with one airline when their policies are as flawed as the next. Thanks for nothing... idk if we will make our anniversary trip now. So sad. 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Disappointed

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Basically, in return for having no change fees and allowing funds from cancelled or rebooked flights to be used towards future travel, Southwest put the onus on tracking and managing those travel funds on the customer.

Funds are good for one year from the original purchase date. When applied to a new booking, all funds associated with that new booking take on the earliest expiration date of any funds applied.