Southwest Airlines Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pet Fee Policy

KiranR
New Arrival

If my dog is a service dog, do I still have to pay the pet fee? 

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Re: Pet Fee Policy

camatuse

Trained Assistance Animals will not be charged. Please make sure you have proper documentation.

Hearing assistance dog

jjpackard56
New Arrival

What constitutes "proper documentation" for a hearing assistance dog traveling in the cabin with a passenger on Southwest, please?  I've only found specific information (letter from doctor, etc.) about emotional support animals on your website.  Thank you.

Re: Pet Fee Policy/Assistance Animal

Bitchu
New Arrival

Hello.  I am anticipating traveling on Reward Milage.  I am Disabled.  I have a small cat as an

assistance animal.  What do I need to have?  When do I need to produce the information?

Will there be a fee.  I plan to bring the cat in a carrier.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Hi KiranR,

Southwest Airlines welcomes trained assistance animals accompanying a Customer with a disability on all of our flights. Except when too large to be safely accommodated, a trained assistance animal will be transported in the aircraft cabin.

For additional information about traveling with an assistance animal, visit us here.

Happy Travels!

Lindsey

Community Moderator

okfogle20
New Arrival

Do service dogs have to be caged the entire flight? 

Catalina95
New Arrival

I'm unsure about the policy as to what size of a dog can ride, my boyfriend is fully blind and has a registered and trained guide dog, that he has previously taken on the plane with him. The dog is about 60 lbs golden retriever/yellow lab.  Will there be room to accommodate him?

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @Catalina95

Yes, we are able to accommodate your boyfriend's guide dog. When a Customer has a large service animal, we recommend that you visit with one of our Customer Service Agents at the gate and let them know you require a seat in the front row, where there's a little extra room. They will provide you a preboarding document that will allow you to get on a little early and get comfortably situated. 

Looking forward to having you onboard!