Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can’t watch movies with Android tablet

Yvonneh12
Explorer C

In the past I was able to watch inflight movies with my Android tablet but on a flight in May it didn’t work. Error message said I needed to upgrade my tablet but it was already upgraded. Has anybody else had this problem? I have a flight coming up next month and I always look forward to watching movies during the flight. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Can’t watch movies with Android tablet

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@Yvonneh12 wrote:

In the past I was able to watch inflight movies with my Android tablet but on a flight in May it didn’t work. Error message said I needed to upgrade my tablet but it was already upgraded. Has anybody else had this problem? I have a flight coming up next month and I always look forward to watching movies during the flight. 

Hello!

I've never had this symptom but the airline's help portal has some good information published that may help you determine cause of this error. This is straight from:

https://www.southwest.com/help/on-the-plane/inflight-wifi

The Inflight Entertainment Portal is supported on WiFi-enabled devices (802.11g/n) that meet the minimum requirements below. Browser support is limited to most recent version in addition to one previous version. Other devices and browsers may provide limited functionality. Please note that utilizing privacy browser modes may impact product availability.

• Live TV: Android, Android 8.0+, Google Chrome
  • Movies & On-Demand TV: Android, Android 8.0+, Google Chrome

I would confirm you're using the latest version of Chrome to access the Entertainment Portal that is not in Incognito mode. Also confirm your device has Android 8.0+ or higher installed. If your device meets these requirements, I would give Southwest Customer Service a call to report your problem. If the error you got also had an error code and you still have it, be sure to include it too. Most likely, the CSA may not have a answer for you immediately but should be able to report it to IT to have it looked at in time for your next flight:

https://www.southwest.com/html/contact-us

Yvonneh12
Explorer C

I heckled and my Android OS was already upgraded to 11. I’m tempted to by an iPad just so I can watch movies on my flights. 

rich1954
Adventurer A

Same happened to me, I bought a iPad and have no problems now watching movies. I suspect the problem is the android device was an older outdated version.