Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flight attendant saving overhead bin

bcl290
Explorer C

I recently flew MDW to CLE.  Lots of pre-boarders. I was A1. The right front bulkhead row was filled and the overhead bin had two items in it. I chose row 2. When I attempted to place my backpack in the overhead, the flight attendant stopped me and stated that it was reserved for bulkhead passengers only. The bin above row 2 was filled . Keep in mind that during boarding they were begging people to gate check larger items because the flight was completely full. This bin remained half empty the entire flight. Never have seen this done before. Any answers ?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Flight attendant saving overhead bin

floridaguy
Aviator C

To the best of my knowledge, open seating is also open bin, too.  I have never observed what you are claiming other than on other airlines where you have first class and someone from the coach section tries to put an item in first class.  In those instances, the person will be told NO unless they are first class.

My suggestion is to contact Southwest directly and give them the flight information as well as dates of the incident.  That is a tough situation as failing to follow crew instructions can get you in trouble so follow their instructions, then complaint.

A LUV voucher is in order here.  The only way to change the behavior of the staff is for it to result in LUV vouchers raining from the sky.  If I were CEO, I will instruct everyone to follow the rules, to the letter, to represent the interests of the greater good and also the majority of loyal customers.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, open seating is also open bin, too.  I have never observed what you are claiming other than on other airlines where you have first class and someone from the coach section tries to put an item in first class.  In those instances, the person will be told NO unless they are first class.

My suggestion is to contact Southwest directly and give them the flight information as well as dates of the incident.  That is a tough situation as failing to follow crew instructions can get you in trouble so follow their instructions, then complaint.

A LUV voucher is in order here.  The only way to change the behavior of the staff is for it to result in LUV vouchers raining from the sky.  If I were CEO, I will instruct everyone to follow the rules, to the letter, to represent the interests of the greater good and also the majority of loyal customers.

Perfect example of fire, ready , set -- except mouth related.

YeahNoMaybe
Adventurer A
Solution

The passengers seated in the bulkhead row are required to put all of their carry-on items in an overhead bin during takeoff and landing.  There is no "seat in front of them" to put items under.  EVERYTHING they have must go ABOVE.

It makes complete sense to me why a flight attendant would save the bin above the first row for those passengers.

floridaguy
Aviator C

While this is all great theater, the question is whether the overhead bin space is assigned to the seats in the adjacent area.  

My previous experience on these flights is NO, not due to how I "feel", but what I have "actually observed" as a matter of fact.

If the flight becomes full the flight attendant will advise passengers to use whatever bin space is available.  There is no rule that says my bag has to be adjacent to my seat.  If there is one, show me.

Personally, I'd prefer that the flight attendants focus on seat saving and excessive carry on which would have likely resulted in plenty of bin space.