Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

In Flight Seats

Ckemp1966
Explorer C

We are flying Southwest this weekend. If we could change airlines for the return trip, we would not fly them again. My heart S and and I fly domestic and internationally frequently so we are pretty familiar with airline seats. While I have long legs, I am not plus sized nor is my husband. On this trip, I have had to squeeze, read wedge, my hips into the seats. This is utterly ridiculous. A large person would have to purchase two seats MINIMUM just to be able to sit down.

We are smashed, cramped, and just informed that the wi fi is broken. Never again.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: In Flight Seats

PettyIntrigues
Adventurer A

Sorry you are feeling uncomfortable (and flying is indeed uncomfortable—I do it at least three days a week for about ten years now) but the numbers don’t lie and they don’t bear it out that SWA is anywhere near the smallest in pitch or width for domestic or international.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@PettyIntrigues wrote:

Sorry you are feeling uncomfortable (and flying is indeed uncomfortable—I do it at least three days a week for about ten years now) but the numbers don’t lie and they don’t bear it out that SWA is anywhere near the smallest in pitch or width for domestic or international.

I agree with you. Pitch on 737-800 and Max8s (over half the fleet) is 32 inches which is better than every legacy airline. Pitch on 737-700s is 31 inches - which is on a par with the legacies and a bit better on a few .

Both are far better than every one of the ULCCs

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Ckemp1966 wrote:

A large person would have to purchase two seats MINIMUM just to be able to sit down.

Actually Southwest has a customer of size program where a second seat can be requested for free or purchased in advance and then refunded after the flight.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

gsking
Aviator C

I've noticed that Airbus seats seem to be wider, for what it's worth.  But to me they are very hard and uncomfortable.  And the seat pitch in some seats is SO tight, they don't even put a full tray on the seat back.  You literally can't put a laptop on it.

At 6'2", I find SWA seats to be plenty confirms comfy.