Frequent Flyer B

The tan planes gone and now tan removed from seat

3 REPLIES 3

Re: It seems like management is embrassed at our desert roots

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@CupCrusher40 wrote:

The tan planes gone and now tan removed from seat

Having many years of experience in marketing, I find that color selection is a key element toward positioning the brand of any product and Southwest is certainly no exception. I believe back then their marketing team decided it was time to retire the desert colors and focus on a palette that would better convey and communicate the core LUV values unique to the airline. I imagine they spent countless and tireless hours among their internal team and most likely outside marketing consultants debating, trying, and narrowing down the current color style and what each color represents. Same can be said when they designed the heart logo. Ditto to their customized Southwest Sans font.

SW published an article in 2014 that describes this:

https://southwest50.com/our-stories/our-heart-livery/

I'm thankful that the airline does theme a select portion of their planes with different livery designs which includes the Herbert D. Kelleher plane that has Southwest’s "Desert Gold" livery theme. Yes, it is a little different from the original but it captures the history well in my opinion. If you want to find out where the N871HK currently is, feel free to track it on FlightAware or FlightRadar24. 

YeahNoMaybe
Frequent Flyer C

Maybe it's just me....

But I never considered most of Texas, where Southwest flew exclusively for its first eight years of its existence, to be in the desert.

dfwskier
Aviator A

At least one person here understands geography.