Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel Router for local content

zambonikane
Explorer C

It has been a while since I have flown, so I don't know what is allowed or not. My question is this. I have a small travel router (RavPower Filehub +) that broadcasts its own local network allowing all who are connected to it to see files stored on a connected hard drive.  I was hoping to load a couple of movies for my family to watch on their devices.  Is this something that is possible/allowed?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Travel Router for local content

dfwskier
Aviator A

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think that anything that broadcasts a signal would be  prohibited because it might interfere with plane instruments.

Re: Travel Router for local content

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I'm also not sure what the rules are nowadays. It previously was airplane mode only but then you could use wifi to take advantage of the onboard wifi/entertainment. I agree with @dfwskier that broadcasting a signal may be a no no. Could you do it? Yes. Should you do it? Probably not. 

I also wonder if it's worth the hassle for a plane ride when Southwest has a decent assortment of live and recorded shows and movies available for free, but that is entirely up to you to decide. The device is an interesting concept for car rides or camping with the family. 

--TheMiddleSeat