Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

ALP Boarding position vs A-List?

jerryf
Explorer C

Do A-List Preferreds get a better boarding position than regular A-List?  (Assuming tickets are purchased at the same time, etc.).  

2 REPLIES 2

Re: ALP Boarding position vs A-List?

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

@jerryf wrote:

Do A-List Preferreds get a better boarding position than regular A-List?  (Assuming tickets are purchased at the same time, etc.).  

Hello!

There's varying opinion on this; my take is "Yes".

An EBCI question was asked a while back on SW's Twitter/X after the passenger reportedly got a B34 spot with EBCI. Here's SW's official response that documents the Priority Boarding order and I consider this reply as fact:

Priority boarding positions are assigned in this order: Business Select, A-List Preferred, A-List, Anytime fares, EarlyBird. EarlyBird boarding positions can vary, and you are not guaranteed to get an "A" group boarding assignment.

https://southwest.com/help/booking/earlybird-checkin

-Larissa

https://twitter.com/SouthwestAir/status/1594125108129722370?s=20

Also, persons on an ALP's or A-List's reservation also receive sequential boarding positions too. As mentioned before on this board, I had flight that was booked well in advance from SAN-SJC. I have A-List and when the 36-hour mark came around, I never even made into the A group; thus, I assumed this flight was full of ALP's or people who were booked under an ALP's reservation. As you may know, ALP's and A-List have the "A61" benefit and can board after the A-Group. 

Based on this and my recent flight experiences, I believe ALP's and persons on their reservations are positioned ahead of A-Lists provided they book at least 36 hours in advance. 

Hope this helps.

Re: ALP Boarding position vs A-List?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SoCalFlyer97 wrote:

@jerryf wrote:

Also, persons on an ALP's or A-List's reservation also receive sequential boarding positions too. As mentioned before on this board, I had flight that was booked well in advance from SAN-SJC. I have A-List and when the 36-hour mark came around, I never even made into the A group; thus, I assumed this flight was full of ALP's or people who were booked under an ALP's reservation. As you may know, ALP's and A-List have the "A61" benefit and can board after the A-Group. 

Based on this and my recent flight experiences, I believe ALP's and persons on their reservations are positioned ahead of A-Lists provided they book at least 36 hours in advance. 

Hope this helps.

That's true for what happened to your ticket for sure.

However we don't know if there were any other A-list ahead of you, and/or ahead of any ALP. 

I'm thinking to some flights where I had A-16 as an A-list member and maybe I had purchased my ticket far ahead, or paid more for it, or else there weren't any ALP on that flight.

As ALP last year I was getting A-18, -19, and -20 pretty often but I didn't ask the groups in front of me if they were also ALP - missed opportunity.

But for the OP's question - if the tickets were bought at the same time for the same price, and one passenger was ALP and one was A-List then I think the ALP would be first.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.