Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Already booked with points - now have a Companion Pass

willeaton
Explorer C

I booked 4 trips for my wife and I this coming year using points for each of us (from my account). Now, I have earned a companion pass. When I went to my 4 flights there was a button that said add companion pass, so I clicked on it and added her. Will we get the points added back to my account and a credit for the gov't fees now that we have paid twice for the fees?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Already booked with points - now have a Companion Pass

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B
Solution

did you cancel her original ticket? You need to do that to get the points back and the fees.

willeaton
Explorer C

I have not cancelled them. It sounds like I can do that now (after I put in the Companion Pass order)?

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

I usually cancel the original ticket first, but if for some reason it doesn’t allow you to, I would get in touch with SW customer service. 

enjoy your companion pass! It’s a great benefit!

bballflyer
Adventurer C

Definitely go in and cancel the flights book with the points, or Southwest will cancel one of the flights for you and you don't know which one.  One time I forgot the cancel and it left the companion reservations "hanging" on my original reservation and I am sure that is going to cause me issues in a couple of months when I go to change who my companion is.  I would add the companion first to make sure there is a seat, but make sure to cancel the other one the same day.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@willeaton wrote:

I booked 4 trips for my wife and I this coming year using points for each of us (from my account). Now, I have earned a companion pass. When I went to my 4 flights there was a button that said add companion pass, so I clicked on it and added her. Will we get the points added back to my account and a credit for the gov't fees now that we have paid twice for the fees?

If you call they can do the swap simultaneously so that you can re-use the taxes and fees for the companion from the previous booking. Especially do this if the flight is nearly sold out and you are at any risk for canceling your original ticket and then not having any open seats left to add companion.

Otherwise going through and canceling first and adding companion second (and re-using the travel credit for fees) is generally fine.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.