Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Chase Rapid Rewards Credit Card Problem/Warning

tgmiller77
Explorer C

I recently Traveled to Cancun, flying Southwest.  My Chase Rapid Rewards Credit card is the card I used during the trip.  I was scammed at the Hotel we were staying in.  When the hotel desk ran the credit card for the stay at the hotel they also ran my card through another reader and charged it for 3,150 to another "merchant" that wasn't the Hotel without my knowledge at the same time.  I caught this the next day and called Chase to cancel the card and report the transaction as unauthorized or fraud.  Chase refunded the transaction and I thought the incident was over.  3 months later the transaction was recharged on my card.  When I called Chase they said it was an in person charge and therefore NOT fraud.  Chase told me that when you hand over your card to ANYONE you are giving them "implied consent" to use your card in anyway they seem fit.  The Chase fraud department said to never give your card to anyone and if you can't run your card yourself and get a receipt you should just pay with cash.  This includes online purchases, restaurants, hotels, etc.  

This is not feasible in our modern world.  Please beware when traveling, especially in foreign countries.  I will be canceling my Chase Southwest Credit Card and switching to American Express.  Southwest needs to be aware that the only reason I have this card is for the Rewards but it is not worth the risk.  Chase will just tell you to read the fine print of the Customer Agreement.