Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion Pass/transferring Marriott points

G52
Explorer C

I am, for the first time, nearing Companion Pass status! Three questions:

1. Since my RR Visa card has already posted for this month (Dec.), I'm assuming that any points I earn from that will not count toward trying to get to 110,000 points by 12-31-16 - correct? OR is it points earned in 2016, not points posted by 12-31-16?  (That is, my next credit card statement points will post around 1-5-17, I think.)

2. I have enough Marriott Rewards points to transfer (to achieve the Companion Pass points), but the Marriott site says that it can take 4-6 wks for the transfer to occur - does anyone have experience with using Marriott points this close to the 'deadline' and having them successfully transfer? Or any experience with getting the transfer expedited by Marriott?

3. If those above two options won't work, any other ideas for how to get ~17,000 points (to post?) before the end of 2016.  I so wish I had noticed how close I was earlier!

Thanks for your help!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Companion Pass/transferring Marriott points

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi 

What is the due date for your credit card in Dec?  From my experience points post about 5-7 days after due date.  All points need to post by Dec 31st 2016.  If I were you I would do the Marriott points anyway they may post in time.  How much is the Companion Pass worth to you? You may end up spending $500-$800??  You could take a short round trip in the same day and go Business Select and earn 12 X the fare.  1800flowers has an offer of 1000 points for spending 29.99 Must use code RR41.  Go through Southwest Shopping website for 1800flowers and earn an extra 7 points per dollar spent.  My points posted to my account in about a week!! and counted towards Companion. I received 2000 points and another 650 points for going through Southwest Shopping.  I would do all seperate orders if you do this.

Six years in a row with Companion Pass and over 60 free flights!!!  What a great perk!!

Good Luck!

Re: Companion Pass/transferring Marriott points

G52
Explorer C

Thanks!

I decided to use those Marriott rewards points (transferred to SW RR account), because the Marriott rep said that the points will transfer to SW within 3 business days (website says it might take 4-6 wks, but she said their agreement with SW is such that points are transferred in an expedited manner anyway).

Hoping to see them showing up by the end of this week - and companion pass here we come!

Thanks for your reply!