Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Highlighted

Companion pass and existing reward points

member5687
New Arrival

I have 40,000 reward points from travel flights. My wife has 16,000 points from travel.

We have separate account numbers. I am working towards the companion fare bonus.

Can I use the existing points to help achieve the companion pass. Would it be best to transfer my wife's points into my account.

Thanks for any suggestions.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Companion pass and existing reward points

TheMiddleSeat
Rising Star
Solution

You don't "buy" or "spend" points to earn Companion Pass, you just need to earn the required Rapid Rewards points in a single calendar year, January 1 through December 31.  Only some points are Companion Pass qualifying points, transferred points do not qualify.  You can read more about qualifying points here: https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/eoy-tier-communication.html

You can also view your progress towards earning Companion Pass under My Account on southwest.com

--TheMiddleSeat

SWDigits
Rising Star
I'll also add that there is a fee to transfer points, I personally wouldn't do it. You can book rewards flights for anyone using your points, it does not need to be for your own travel.

Customer | Home airport DCA | Community Champion

elijahbrantley
Rising Star

Short answer, no.  As one of the most valuable perks in the industry, there are strict rules around what qualifies and how to qualify.

-A List Preferred, Companion Pass holder, Community Champion.