Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Help with A-List Preferred Qualification

RockSquad
Explorer C

Hi SWA, All,

I'm 18k points away from A-List Preferred and I've maxed out the benefit I can get from the SWA Visa.  As I understand it I have to take flights to get the rest of these points (full revenue flights).  Is there any other way?  If I did take these flights how soon do they apply to my account?  For example if I took a flight on 12/31/16 would it "count" or do I need to do this way in advance?

thanks,

Peter

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Help with A-List Preferred Qualification

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi 

There is no other way.  Your account will set back to zero on midnight of Dec 31st.   The Member will not accrue any points for any portion of the ticket that has been flown until the entire ticket has been completed!.  My points usually post the day after I compleate my flight. That's why I alyays purchase one way tickets. 

Good Luck!

Evah
Explorer C

If you find that you're really close you could always take a trip that costs a bit more than Wanna Get Away. It costs a bit more but pays a lot more points. For instance go business class and look at how high the points go.

Evah
Explorer C

If you find that you're really close you could always take a trip that costs a bit more than Wanna Get Away. It costs a bit more but pays a lot more points. For instance go business class and look at how high the points go.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Let us know how it worked out @RockSquad. I would consider 18k points to be a little ways away, but within striking distance when you posted in November.

I had understood that the points for a flight would apply on 12/31 even if they posted the next day but I'm interested to have that clarified. Credit card points would come on the billing cycle, but as you mention those aren't applicable for preferred status.

One approach for next year - assuming you fly for business a lot to be in range of preferred - if you have to reimburse the lowest fare Wanna Get Away, maybe you can pay the extra out of pocket to upgrade to Business Select a few days ahead of time to earn the 12x points on one or two flights while you only expense the WGA fare to the client.

As another poster mentioned - to maximize flexibility for a case like this, book separate one-way tickets so that you don't have to upgrade the round trip to Business Select, you could do it individually for each leg.

I'm fortunate to fly out of Midway so I had many low-cost options when I was in a similar position and looking to make a day trip at the end of 2016. Crunching the numbers to earn the points it was cheaper to take a short day trip to MSP on a Business Select fare than take a longer WGA fare to get the points.

Anyway - I hope it worked out for you!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.