Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

If I book a flight in USD can I then pay off the balance in points?

andtdennis
Explorer C

I'm exploring how far I can go with this card. If I book a flight and pay in USD with the RRC could I then pay off the balance in points?

I'm asking mainly because I'm interested in booking flights for other people as well. And was wondering if this was possible and or allowed? 

I wouldn't be charging those people either but I want to maximize my benefits and if I can do that by flying myself or flying people to me that'd be great!

I'm currently in the process of getting approved for the Premier Card and I couldn't be more excited!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: If I book a flight in USD can I then pay off the balance in points?

gsking
Aviator C

I’m pretty sure its once or the other.  No mixing points with cash.

Here’s some tips.

1 Points purchases are free of taxes.  So it is best to use them for short flights, as taxes are a higher percentage of the cost so the points are “worth more”

2.  Pay for your own tickets with cash…that way you get flight credit towards Alist.

3.  Buy your friends tickets with points.  That way, they can be refunded without penalty.  (WGA fares that are cancelled are tied to the original flyer)

jj1814
Adventurer C

I believe the ability to purchase airfare with a mix of points & cash begins sometime in the Spring (2024)

Willydave
Explorer B

I don't think you can. What you can do is, use Rapid Rewards points to pay yourself back for travel purchases made with your Chase credit card. You can redeem your points for a statement credit within 90 days of your purchase. However, you need to have enough points to cover the entire purchase amount, and you will not earn points on the redeemed purchase.