Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Transferring RR Points

smokiebr911
Explorer C

Why is SW charging to transfer points??

I've already spent $$$$ to earn these points!

Why must I now pay again to transfer them??

Me thinks this practice is a bit greedy 😠

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Transferring RR Points

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi 

Are looking to transfer points to someone so they can get a free ticket?  You don't need to do that, you can get them a ticket from your account without a fee. 

Good Luck! 

TomL
Explorer C

What is the fee to transfer points?

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi 

$10.00 per 1,000 points.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Yeah, unless you absolutely need to transfer in order to top off (get enough points to make a particular booking), it's a bad idea. The cost of 1 cent per point negates much of the value of the points. It's better to just use your points to book a ticket for someone else.

eak435s
Explorer C

Let me make sure I understand... My 2 year old daughter can earn RR points when I buy her a ticket, but (1) I cannot collect her points under my RR number/account, (2) I have to set up a RR account for her (under one of my email addresses, I assume) to collect the points she earns, and (3) will have to pay $10/1000 points she earns if I want to consolidate them in my account?  So the only alternative is to let them accumulate in her account until someday far in the future when she has enough points to buy a ticket with her points?  That's not a horrible inconvenience, but it does mean that I have to manage 3 different southwest accounts for my wife, my daughter and myself.  That's a little annoying.  Plus, I can't get my wife's and daughter's flights to come up in my southwest app.  Does this system of keeping eveyrone separate mean that I have to have use 3 different logins to the app to manage flight information?  That's seriously reducing the functionality of the app.  Maybe I don't have it set up correctly.  In addition, if my wife has a work flight I assum ethis also means that the flight information needs to be collected under a Rapid Rewards number I set up for her, and cannot be added to my Rapid Rewards account?  Thanks for any insights.  I assume this has been addressed on SW.com somewhere but for the life of me I can't find a direct answer.  Maybe I'm an idiot.  Likely.  I'm sorry if it's a double post.  

franktravel
Aviator B

Rapid Rewards Rules and Regulations can be found here http://swa.is/2oi66xa

Note:  Rapid rewards points can be used by anyone... they do not have to be transfered to to another member to make a reservation.

grapefan
Explorer C

So, I can use my husband's points and some of mine to book him a flight?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@grapefan wrote:

So, I can use my husband's points and some of mine to book him a flight?

Unfortunately, you cannot combine points unless you transfer them from one account to another -- and there's a fee for that (1 cent per point) which eats up much of the value of the points.

You can use anyone's points to book for anyone, so you could, for example, use your husband's for one half of the round trip and your points for the other, by booking one-way flights.

grapefan
Explorer C

Thanks for clearing that up.  And I appreciate your idea to book the flights separately!