Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Two Factor Authentication ! WHY DOESN'T SOUTHWEST HAVE THIS?!

dylpickle85
Explorer C

It is CRAZY to me that our Southwest.com accounts do not have Two Factor Authentication to better secure our reward points. These points are REAL MONEY and this is entirely unacceptable that Southwest does not have better means to secure our accounts. People are getting their reward points stolen - just search these forums and see!

I have been a card holder for 10 years and am canceling as a result. This is ridiculous and unacceptable. I will NOT leave my MONEY (reward points = CASH) in an unsecured online account.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Two Factor Authentication ! WHY DOESN'T SOUTHWEST HAVE THIS?!

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@dylpickle85 wrote:

It is CRAZY to me that our Southwest.com accounts do not have Two Factor Authentication to better secure our reward points. These points are REAL MONEY and this is entirely unacceptable that Southwest does not have better means to secure our accounts. People are getting their reward points stolen - just search these forums and see!

I have been a card holder for 10 years and am canceling as a result. This is ridiculous and unacceptable. I will NOT leave my MONEY (reward points = CASH) in an unsecured online account.

Hello!

I agree some sort of two-step verification needs to be done. I believe the airline is currently aware of this as I've seen repeat instances of this situation mentioned on this forum in the past.

If you've noticed a possible fraudulent Rapid Rewards points debit transaction in your account and the transaction was for a flight, please reach out directly to Southwest Customer Service as soon as possible if you haven't done so yet as this message board is customer-to-customer based and cannot investigate claims nor process your request for a two-step sign in process. Staff should be able to secure your account and if the fight in question hasn't been taken yet, staff should also be able to void the transaction in question.

https://support.southwest.com/helpcenter/s/article/More-phone-numbers-contact-options

I would also file a police report for any fraudulent transactions made to your account as hacking into an account to access one's points without their consent would constitute theft. Likely that law enforcement may not 'catch' the thief right away but having a police report in hand would document as evidence that the transaction was fake.

Hope this helps.

Re: Two Factor Authentication ! WHY DOESN'T SOUTHWEST HAVE THIS?!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Hold up... You're canceling your Chase credit card, which earns points, but doesn't store them, to protest a lack of security on your Southwest account which actually stores the points. OK, sure. 🤦 It certainly doesn't achieve your goal of not leaving your points in an "unsecured" account. An account which isn't actually unsecured, it's just not as secure as you would like.

--TheMiddleSeat