Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

50 minute Layover at MCO

willjoh
Explorer C

Hello, I have a flight from BWI to Nassau, Bahamas with a 50 minute layover at Orlando (MCO). I've tried to search all over Google to see if that's enough time. It seems like it's enough as long as I don't have to go to another terminal. Are all Southwest flights in the same terminal at MCO including international flights?

It seems like MCO has a separate terminal for international flights (Terminal C) while Southwest is in Terminal A.  

6 REPLIES 6

Re: 50 minute Layover at MCO

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

@willjoh wrote:

Hello, I have a flight from BWI to Nassau, Bahamas with a 50 minute layover at Orlando (MCO). I've tried to search all over Google to see if that's enough time. It seems like it's enough as long as I don't have to go to another terminal. Are all Southwest flights in the same terminal at MCO including international flights?

It seems like MCO has a separate terminal for international flights (Terminal C) while Southwest is in Terminal A.  

Greetings!

@DancingDavidE should be able to confirm the SW Terminal A layout specifically for MCO but I assume that all departing Southwest flights and domestic SW arrivals occur in the same Terminal A. However, an international arrival that did not have pre-clearance would likely dock at a separate gate area at the appropriate International Arrivals Terminal C that feeds into the CBP Border Inspection Station. Since you're connecting from a domestic arrival to an international departure, I assume this would take place at SW Terminal A.

Regarding layover, the general advice is allowing at least an hour buffer for domestic flights and a two-hour layover time for connections to international flights. I would give myself a larger buffer if the international connection in question was the only outbound flight of the day to the international destination in case of an excessive delay. This can help assure a much more comfortable and stress-free journey than booking a trip with a very tight connection.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SoCalFlyer97 wrote:

@willjoh wrote:

Greetings!

@DancingDavidE should be able to confirm the SW Terminal A layout specifically for MCO but I assume that all departing Southwest flights and domestic SW arrivals occur in the same Terminal A. However, an international arrival that did not have pre-clearance would likely dock at a separate gate area at the appropriate International Arrivals Terminal C that feeds into the CBP Border Inspection Station. Since you're connecting from a domestic arrival to an international departure, I assume this would take place at SW Terminal A.

Regarding layover, the general advice is allowing at least an hour buffer for domestic flights and a two-hour layover time for connections to international flights. I would give myself a larger buffer if the international connection in question was the only outbound flight of the day to the international destination in case of an excessive delay. This can help assure a much more comfortable and stress-free journey than booking a trip with a very tight connection.

Southwest is A-side is easier remembered as the gates 100-129 - there are four quadrants with gates and Southwest has all or most of one of those pods. As long as the two flights are in the 100-129 you will be pretty quick although a short walk between the two branches roughly half of the gates per each.

My only concern was that there was some expansion to the 90’s gates for east coast destinations but I don’t see any listing of that now, maybe it was temporary. If it was - still doable to catch the people mover DO NOT LEAVE SECURITY and head to the other tram. But most likely it will be a short walk within the 100-129 pod.

A and B are the two sides of the terminal - assuming all goes well you won’t be in that part of the airport at all. 

IMG_2581.png

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@SoCalFlyer97 wrote:

@willjoh wrote:

Greetings!

Southwest is A-side is easier remembered as the gates 100-129 - there are four quadrants with gates and Southwest has all or most of one of those pods. As long as the two flights are in the 100-129 you will be pretty quick although a short walk between the two branches roughly half of the gates per each.

My only concern was that there was some expansion to the 90’s gates for east coast destinations but I don’t see any listing of that now, maybe it was temporary. If it was - still doable to catch the people mover DO NOT LEAVE SECURITY and head to the other tram. But most likely it will be a short walk within the 100-129 pod.

A and B are the two sides of the terminal - assuming all goes well you won’t be in that part of the airport at all. 

IMG_2581.png

Bahamas is pre-clearance so on the way back smooth sailing as you’ll go through customs in Nassau and use the regular MCO terminal as a domestic passenger.  

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Is it doable? Absolutely, they would not sell it unless that was the case.

Is it practical? Not really, SWA international flights usually start boarding 45 minutes before departure. 

Schedule a longer lay over for peace of mind if you can.

btw, I did a quick search and all the connecting flights I saw to Nassau from BWI via MCO had 4 to 5 hour lay overs. Not sure when you are flying but you may want to double check your itinerary

Safe travels

willjoh
Explorer C

I fly on the 17th of June. It had a longer layover when I booked but I just received an email from SW saying the times changed and made the layover shorter. All flights on that date are booked. I guess I'll just have to pray there are no delays and make a run for it. Assuming it's in the same terminal, it shouldn't be too bad. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@willjoh wrote:

I fly on the 17th of June. It had a longer layover when I booked but I just received an email from SW saying the times changed and made the layover shorter. All flights on that date are booked. I guess I'll just have to pray there are no delays and make a run for it. Assuming it's in the same terminal, it shouldn't be too bad. 

Can you standby to an earlier flight at BWI?