Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

RR points snafu

Bevawn
Explorer C

Hi all, I am so frustrated! My husband purchased my flight using his points. I now need to change the flight to the next morning and when I went to Change Flight,, it said  that I needed an additional almost 4k points. So I purchased 4k points and went back to change the flight and THEN it said I needed to log into his account to make the change. Ughhhh! 

Why wasn’t there a warning when I went to change it in the first place? Had it said that, I would have logged into his account to purchase the points. Now I am out of money, have points that are useless for what I purchased them for and can’t change my flight!  

I’m sure I know the answer, but does anyone know of a workaround here?! 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: RR points snafu

dfwskier
Aviator A

At Southwest, the person whose points are being used to buy a ticket, must use his/her RR account to do so. Same thing with any changes to that ticket.

Sorry.

Does your husband have the needed points in his account?

Bevawn
Explorer C

No, he has none!  I Just did not realize that until I purchased the ticket I assumed I would buy the points with the ticket in my name. Honestly, it didn’t even occur to me that the ticket was originally purchased from his account. I can’t understand why they wouldn’t just add that warning when I clicked on change reservation. It would have been great to know before I purchased. 

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@Bevawn wrote:

Hi all, I am so frustrated! My husband purchased my flight using his points. I now need to change the flight to the next morning and when I went to Change Flight,, it said  that I needed an additional almost 4k points. So I purchased 4k points and went back to change the flight and THEN it said I needed to log into his account to make the change. Ughhhh! 

Why wasn’t there a warning when I went to change it in the first place? Had it said that, I would have logged into his account to purchase the points. Now I am out of money, have points that are useless for what I purchased them for and can’t change my flight!  

I’m sure I know the answer, but does anyone know of a workaround here?! 

Hello- Yes, as the other posters have indicated, the traveler holding the flight reservation should be logged into his/her account prior to making the Rapid Reward points purchase to be applied toward the traveler's flight.

At this point, l would contact Southwest Customer Service and have a CSA assist.

https://www.southwest.com/html/contact-us/

Let them know that your intention of the 4,000 point purchase was to apply it toward the traveler's existing reservation. They should be able to assist you with getting the points applied to the traveler (they helped me greatly when I purchased Upgraded Boarding 24 hours prior to a trip that I made last winter only to be notified a few hours later of a late winter weather Travel Advisory for my home airport that prompted me to rebook the trip for another day...The CSA refunded the Upgraded Boarding purchase and assisted me with the rebooking).

Just be sure when you call to make it clear to the CSA of your intentions of this purchase.