Redeyes would reduce hotel need for 1 night

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

soon hopes

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Redeyes would reduce hotel need for 1 night

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

They did add this option recently, not quite the same thing since you'll be most likely at the airport instead of actually on a plane:

Overnight Connections | Southwest Airlines

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

I saw some news articles published last November about this subject and the possibility of this happening with Southwest. I would certainly vote for night owl service, especially for the high-demand short-haul commuter routes within California and elsewhere. 

Whenever I do my daytrips abroad, I proactively have a change of clothes and note a few hotel locations in case a last-minute disruption ever prevents me from returning back to SoCal later in the afternoon or evening hours. Having a few additional late-night or overnight departure options as a cushion would be a great back-up option should I ever face a last-minute cancellation going home and the remaining flights for the evening are sold out.

I would stay tuned for now; it may be coming...

dfwskier
Aviator A

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/airlines-airports/southwest-airlines-to-start-red-eye-flights-for-f...

It will be great for people wanting to get back east from the West Coast.

There's also a hidden efficiency where if there is a need for planes that end up on the West Coast need to get back to the East Coast to start the day now they can fly there with passengers instead of being transferred empty. Obviously, the current schedule would be setup to minimize this but having the option to make a revenue flight out of a positioning flight might allow some additional routes/frequency. Avoiding that last flight of the day to LAS is okay, now that same plane would bring some passengers back to the east. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: Redeyes "Soon"

denno
Adventurer B

I recently read that it could take Southwest two years to gear up for redeye flights for issues related to crew contracts.  New pilot and flight attendant contracts were just settled recently.  Surely this issue, which was proposed last year already by the company, were addressed in these contracts.  What could possibly take two more years?  There are already flights carrying over into the following day (DEN-ATL 2100-0155) in the schedule.  Common guys; get this done!