Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

SW Starting to Roll Out Points plus Cash

bballflyer
Adventurer C

Looks like SW is starting to roll out the points plus cash option to a limited number of people.  The initial exchange for points does not look appealing and wonder what the purpose of it even is except to maybe provide an option for infrequent travelers who have very limited points a way to use them.  I hope that the exchange isn't what will be reflected when using full points to book a flight. 

16 REPLIES 16

Re: SW Starting to Roll Out Points plus Cash

bec102896
Aviator A

I’ve had all of my family look to see if they are apart of the rollout but none are 

anyone here apart of the rollout? 

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Just booked some personal travel with points this morning, did not see the option, BUT I did not need to apply any cash to complete the transaction. (had plenty of points so just paid the fees like always)

bec102896
Aviator A

It’s my understanding to see the cash plus points you would need to go though the cash rate instead of the points rates 

maybe in the future they can add an option to see cash and points instead of having to go to the payment screen 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

It’s my understanding to see the cash plus points you would need to go though the cash rate instead of the points rates 

maybe in the future they can add an option to see cash and points instead of having to go to the payment screen 

I didn't see the option on my recent booking.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bballflyer
Adventurer C

I originally did not see it, but as of yesterday it is now available.  However the exchange wasn’t good, it was about 1/2 of what it would be booking the entire flight with miles 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@bballflyer wrote:

I originally did not see it, but as of yesterday it is now available.  However the exchange wasn’t good, it was about 1/2 of what it would be booking the entire flight with miles 

If that is what is happening, it is certainly not a good deal.

bballflyer
Adventurer C

As an example, I just purchased a flight that was $109.  If I were to use the points only it would have been 6515 points for the entire flight.  Points plus cash was 4000 points to take off 40 and still owed another $69, plus you don't earn toward A-Status or companion fare.  They pre-determine how many points you can use toward the flight and give 4 option I think it was.  

bballflyer
Adventurer C

I just realized this is only available when signing in on the web.  It is not currently available in the SW App.

bec102896
Aviator A

@bballflyer wrote:

I just realized this is only available when signing in on the web.  It is not currently available in the SW App.

That’s interesting the FAQ page says only available on the app and shows how you would find it but yet I don’t have the option 

I’ll try the full website 

Do you get the option for all flights you select or only after a certain date or route?