Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Seeking Advice for an Upcoming Trip with Southwest Airlines

jacoblas
Explorer C

Hello travelers,

I'm gearing up for an upcoming journey with Southwest Airlines and could use some insights from those who have flown with them before. I've heard great things about their service and flexibility, but I'm curious to hear firsthand experiences.

Could anyone share tips or advice for a smooth and enjoyable flight experience with Southwest? Whether it's about check-in procedures, onboard amenities, or navigating their website and mobile app, I'm all ears! Additionally, if there are any standout features or hidden perks that I should be aware of, I'd love to know.

Your input will be invaluable in ensuring that my trip with Southwest Airlines is nothing short of fantastic. Thanks in advance for your help!

1 REPLY 1

Re: Seeking Advice for an Upcoming Trip with Southwest Airlines

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@jacoblas wrote:

Hello travelers,

I'm gearing up for an upcoming journey with Southwest Airlines and could use some insights from those who have flown with them before. I've heard great things about their service and flexibility, but I'm curious to hear firsthand experiences.

Could anyone share tips or advice for a smooth and enjoyable flight experience with Southwest? Whether it's about check-in procedures, onboard amenities, or navigating their website and mobile app, I'm all ears! Additionally, if there are any standout features or hidden perks that I should be aware of, I'd love to know.

Your input will be invaluable in ensuring that my trip with Southwest Airlines is nothing short of fantastic. Thanks in advance for your help!

Hola!

I've had numerous positive experience about the LUV airline.

For the general procedures, I would check out the official information here:
https://www.southwest.com/flying-with-southwest/

Here's a few links for some of my firsthand, recent Southwest trips which included how I handled flight delays.

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Inflight-Experience/March-24-Southwest-Flight-Photo-Trip-Report-S...

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Inflight-Experience/March-24-Southwest-Flight-Photo-Trip-Report-F...

A few travel tips:

• Before your trip: Keep an eye on the follow-up emails, specifically the ones that say "Your Trip is Almost Here" and "What You'll need for your Trip". These will have some handy tips. If you don't have the Early Bird Check In benefit, I would set your alarm to ring and check in at 24-hours prior to your scheduled departures as the timing determines your boarding order. If you're on a full flight and are placed in the late B or C boarding group, you'll have the option of checking your carry-on bag to your final destination at no additional charge.
  • I found during my early days of flying with Southwest that upgrading the fare to Anytime gave me some great "training wheel" benefits such as Priority Express Lane access at the check-in counter and TSA. Also comes with Early Bird Check In and free Same-Day Confirmed Flight Change. You'll also likely secure either a late "A" or early "B" spot with this fare if purchased 36 hours or more before departure. Not having to worry about these things made the first of my travel experiences that much greater.
  • I would bring a portable charger with you if you plan to use your personal device for the inflight entertainment. Most of Southwest's fleets don't have charging ports but they're working on it...
  • Bring an empty water bottle with you and refill it after clearing TSA and before getting on the plane. That way, you'll have a drink with you for your flight in case the inflight beverage service is disrupted due to turbulence.
  • If your flight posts a delay, still show up at the airport as if the flight is on time. Delayed flights can recover time or be replaced with a different aircraft/crew. 
  • If you plan to fly Southwest (or fly in general) regularly and you qualify for these, consider enrolling into a trusted traveler program such as TSA PreCheck or Global Entry to speed your passage through the TSA checkpoint. CLEAR is also a good alternative too to bypass the ID-check line.