Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Using travel funds after booking a flight

tjonkman1
Explorer C

I recently booked a round trip flight and paid using my southwest credit card. I completely forgot I had travel funds to use. Is there anyway to be refunded what I paid and use my travel credits instead? 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Using travel funds after booking a flight

dfwskier
Aviator A

If you caught the error within 24 hours of making the reservation, you can cancel and have a refund to your credit card.

If after 24 hours, you'd have another travel credit.

tjonkman1
Explorer C

No I think you’re misunderstanding. You’re talking about canceling the flight within 24 hours of the flight itself. Not 24 hours after booking. You can get a full refund no matter what if canceled before 24 hours of your flight. I’m wondering if I can just switch it to using travel funds and be refunded the amount on my credit card. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

No I undestood you. The ONLY way to get money back on your card is to cancel within 24 hours (edit add for clarity: of making the reservation).

Once a ticket is issued there is no way to change the way the ticket is paid for.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@tjonkman1 wrote:

No I think you’re misunderstanding. You’re talking about canceling the flight within 24 hours of the flight itself. Not 24 hours after booking. You can get a full refund no matter what if canceled before 24 hours of your flight. I’m wondering if I can just switch it to using travel funds and be refunded the amount on my credit card. 

Did you buy a refundable fare? If so then you have to refund the ticket and buy a new ticket with the travel funds. 

If you bought a non-refundable fare then you can do this only within 24 hours of purchase as described by @dfwskier as the ticket won't be refundable after that.

There's no provision to swap flight credits for cash on an existing ticket that you keep.

You said canceling within 24 hours of your flight to get a full refund - actually it's up to ten minutes prior to departure but only if you have a refundable fare. You'd be issued a flight credit from the cancelation for any other fare.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.