5 REPLIES 5

Re: same day roundtrip?

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

Merry Christmas @CupCrusher40 

Count me in!

Left SAN to SMF at 8am...

20230719_071331.jpg

Took care of business, returned home at 4pm...

20230719_152332.jpg

I'm one of those who has the ability to fly out somewhere and return same day thanks to multiple daily SW departures of short-haul flights from SoCal combined with having Global Entry to get me through TSA quickly and having decent ground public transit options to get me into town from the airport.

Before you attempt to do this, make sure you carefully review the departure options and check your whole itinerary and ground transportation options to ensure you're able to complete your business and be back at the airport on time. Including a buffer for potential travel disruption is a must. That's why you'll see in many of my trip reports that I'll go to a quiet spot in the airport upon arriving at a city to get remote work done before leaving the airport for my appointments.

My day trip limits from SoCal are the short-haul flights to/from LAS, PHX, and northern CA destinations. Should I need to go beyond those points, I'll likely need to stay over.

Also, if you qualify for PreCheck or Global Entry and don't have these, certainly get one of those so you can get through TSA quickly (or if unable, check out CLEAR or SW's options of getting you into the Priority Express Lane). 

bec102896
Aviator A

2 years a go I did 2 Roundtrips in the same day just to re earn my A List preferred because spending 1 day in the airport was easier than 2 

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

for software needs 8 hour gap

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

The softwzre will let one book a roundtrip with as little as the required minimum connection time between incoming flight arrival time and departing flight departure time -- as little as 45 minutes in some cases.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@CupCrusher40 wrote:

for software needs 8 hour gap

No, you can book tighter at least with Southwest.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.